Raffaele Mazzuca of Amantea, Cosenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Raffaele Mazzuca of Amantea, Cosenza

Postby blorelli » 27 Mar 2011, 13:07

In researching my family's ancestry in Amantea, Cosenza, Italy, I have not been able to definitively get past my great-grandfather, Raffaele Mazzuca. I know for certain that the Ellis island arrival in October, 1908 is him, as it indicates he was traveling with his daughter, Angela (my grandmother, b. around 1890), and they were going to see Raffaele's son-in-law, Salvatore Lorelli (my grandfather, b. around 1886) who was married to Angela Mazzuca). I also know that Raffaele Mazzuca had three other daughters; Elena (b. around 1900) and twins Giuseppina and Fiorina (b. around 1910).

One problem is in finding out the name of Raffaele Mazzuca's wife and her parents names. The Ellis island record of 1908 (and also an Ellis Island record of Sep. 1924) seems to indicate Raffaele Mazzuca's wife's name is Carmela "Lorelli". However, recently, in speaking with another of Raffaele's grandsons, he thought the wife's name was Carmela "Vadacchino". I have not been able to confirm one way or the other, either through the on-line Archivio di Stato di Cosenza records or any other sources.

My other problem is in verifying Raffaele Mazzuca's parents. Again, I can make some guesses, but cannot be sure. I also know that the Mazzuca family may have originally lived in a smaller village in the hills above Amantea, called San Pietro in Amantea.

Are there any other sources for this kind of information?
blorelli

Re: Raffaele Mazzuca of Amantea, Cosenza

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Mar 2011, 13:43

For reference:

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.

Note this minor detail: Mazzucca is spelled with a double "cc". May not be terrribly important, but despite belief to the contrary, the names as written on manifests are usually spelled correctly.

Also note the family at the top of the manifest, lines 2, 3, and 4. Obviously related.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Mar 2011, 13:54

I presume you noticed that Angela is traveling with her son, Norberto Lorelli, aged 7 months?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Mar 2011, 14:02

You may find the simplest route is to write to Amantea and request Rafaele's birth and marriage acts. The address is:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Città di Amantea
so Umberto I
87032 Amantea (CS)
ITALY

email: statocivile@comune.amantea.cs.it (remove the spaces)
web: http://www.comune.amantea.cs.it/

There are many threads here which discuss how to request documents. One of them is: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Mar 2011, 14:20

Regarding Raffaele's wife: you have good reason to believe that her name was Lorelli - it appears that way on two manifests many years apart. However, this does not preclude the possibility that the mother of his children was Vadacchino.

At the time in question, a significant percentage of Italian women died in childbirth and even more died from all sorts of diseases easily treated today. Even a simple finger or foot wound received while tending the gardens could easily turn into a life-threatening infection.

If Raffaele's first wife died, he would have almost certainly remarried, especially if he had young children needing to be cared for.

Beyond that, most of us have learned that oral history is not to be trusted. The documents strongly suggest that Lorelli is the correct name.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby blorelli » 27 Mar 2011, 15:30

Thank you for the multiple responses.

I did notice the spelling of "Mazzucca" with two c's; however the Ellis Island Record for 1924 was spelled "Mazzuca" with one c. I believe the spelling is actually with one c, since my father thought it was spelled that way, as well as his first cousin, who I spoke with recently. But whenever I search records, I do it both ways. When I checked the "Archivio", there were almost 4,000 records in Cosenza of "Mazzuca" with one c, and only 70 records of Mazzucca" with two c's.

I did notice the record showed my grandmother traveling with an infant - it says "Umberto" or "Norberto", but it must be her first child "Alberto", who died about 2 years later - I actually found a listing of that death on the website: http://italiangen.org/ and I also remembering seeing several infant's graves at my grandfather's cemetery plot in New York 50 years ago.

I can also confirm the Lorelli listings immediately above it - Giovanni Lorelli was my great uncle, (Salvatore's brother), who was traveling with his wife Maria and young son Gennaro. And the address they were going to, 72 Gansevoort Street, was my grandfather's place of business in New York.

As far as Raffaele's wife's name, it may only be confirmed by writing to Amantea, as you suggest. I have searched both "Carmela Lorelli" and "Carmela Vadacchino" in the "Archivio", but came up blank. I was just trying to exhaust all other options, before I wrote to Italy.

I had not thought about your idea of a re-marriage - it could be possible, but there has been nothing in my research to indicate it yet. Do you have any other suggestions?
blorelli

Postby adelfio » 27 Mar 2011, 15:53

There are microfilms available for San Pietro in Amantea (Cosenza). Ufficio dello stato civile. Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths, citizenship records at Family History Library
Family History Library Locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering films from FHL
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
The films for San Pietro in Amantea
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... an+Pietr++
Info on Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
Reading records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
There is one film that has birth/nati records from 1866-1895 if you have some close birthdates you can go through the films its only time spent
and you might get lucky

Good luck researching
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Mar 2011, 02:23

blorelli wrote:My other problem is in verifying Raffaele Mazzuca's parents. Again, I can make some guesses, but cannot be sure. I also know that the Mazzuca family may have originally lived in a smaller village in the hills above Amantea, called San Pietro in Amantea.

Are there any other sources for this kind of information?

On this manifest from a trip in 1920, Raffaele lists his place of birth as S. Pietro...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Raffaele Mazzuca
Name: Raffaele Mazzuca
Arrival Date: 4 Jun 1920
Birth Year: abt 1866
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s pietro
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Taormina

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Mar 2011, 02:33

Carmella Lorelli is listed as Raffaele's wife on the 1911 manifest as well...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Raffaele Mazzucca
Name: Raffaele Mazzucca
Arrival Date: 5 Jul 1911
Birth Year: abt 1869
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s putro
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Duca D Aosta

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 09 Apr 2011, 11:03

I am looking for the Certificato di Nascita for Teresa Mannarino born August 26, 1895. We have Teresa on the ship with her mother Francesca Veltri as coming from Amantea, Cosenza but Comuni di Amantea and Provincia di Cosenza cannot locate her bith certificate. The name Mannarino is among the most common in Calabria and is very prevalent in provincia di Cosenza. Without writing to every Comune in the province, does anyone have any idea where I can locate her birth certificate? Grazie tanto.
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby smooth_cm » 20 May 2011, 21:25

Hello,

Ok so i am new to this stuff and I have a grandfather who's name is Eugenio Mazzuca that had a brother Raffaele Mazzuca and 8 other brothers and sisters (10) in total. He lived in Coso san lorenzo, Cosenza, Calbria and/or Coso Presta. Could we be speaking about the same family?
smooth_cm

Postby blorelli » 21 May 2011, 13:24

My great-grandfather, Raffaele Mazzuca, was born around 1866, in a small village called San Pietro in Amantea, just above the larger town of Amantea, in the province of Cosenza, Calabria. After 1900, he moved down into the town of Amantea, on the main street of what is now called Corso Vittorio Emanuele.

I am not sure if his age is comparable to your grandfather, Eugenio. Raffaele Mazzuca did travel back and forth to the US (with my grandmother) but he never stayed. I have not found any records of Raffaele's brothers or sisters, and I even spoke to his grandson who lives near me in Michigan. As Eugenio was apparently from a different village, it is probably not likely that this is the same family, but you never know.

If you know other names from Eugenio's family, you may want to search the Italian database of records for further possibilities. See the link below:

http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do

If you find further information that may link the families. Please post a reply.
blorelli

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy