"Henry" Stanislao Fenoglio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Betty Heaton

"Henry" Stanislao Fenoglio

Postby Betty Heaton » 10 Apr 2011, 21:16

For many years my cousin, Mary, and I have tried without success to discover information about and the family of our great-grandfather Stanislao (known as Henry) Fenoglio. We believe he was born in March of 1857, was Piemontese, was fluent in a number of languages and received some education in Torino. The only immigration record we can find of him is an arrival in New York City in June of 1889 from La Havre, France, although the 1900 census says he arrived in 1883 so there may have been an earlier trip, possibly with another name. He married Alma Elliott in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, about 1889. His son John Dominic Fenoglio was born in Chickasha, Oklahoma when it was still Indian Territory, his daughter Fenetta Fenoglio was born in Nanaimo, British Columbia and his daughter Myrtle Maria Fenoglio (our grandmother) was born in San Francisco, all in the early 1890s. He worked all his life as a coal miner although he may have had other jobs in New York. He died, probably in Oregon, when my grandmother was very young so her memories of him were quite hazy. We would be grateful for any information or ideas on furthering our search. Thank You.

Betty Heaton

Re: "Henry" Stanislao Fenoglio

Postby Betty Heaton » 24 Apr 2011, 15:38

A recent post on Italian Foundlings might explain the lack of information about my great grandfather, Stanislao Fenoglio's place of birth and parentage. Grandma always insisted his father was "a Count". Stanislao Fenoglio died when she was a small child and I always assumed it was either her hazy memory of a fairy tale told to her or her romanticizing the fragmentary memory of her departed father. All my father could ever tell us was that his Fenoglio grandmother "might have been French". Foundling certainly seems a possibility. Thanks to the writer of the post for the article.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 25 Apr 2011, 07:11

Betty Heaton wrote:A recent post on Italian Foundlings might explain the lack of information about my great grandfather, Stanislao Fenoglio's place of birth and parentage. Grandma always insisted his father was "a Count". Stanislao Fenoglio died when she was a small child and I always assumed it was either her hazy memory of a fairy tale told to her or her romanticizing the fragmentary memory of her departed father. All my father could ever tell us was that his Fenoglio grandmother "might have been French". Foundling certainly seems a possibility. Thanks to the writer of the post for the article.

Hi, Betty. I wrote the article you're talking about.

Your Stanislao very well could have been a foundling. Although, a cursory glance shows that the surname "Fenoglio" is rather common in the region of Piemonte, and it's unlikely an official would give a child a name that so many local citizens share. Is it possible Stanislao was taken in by a family by the name of Fenoglio (and assumed the surname himself)?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 25 Apr 2011, 09:54

Hi, my opinion is that Stanislao was no a foundling...

In the past I wrote many times on IG abt the foundlings in Italy, and the messages was very helpfuls for understand abt that...

my idea is that your Stanislao was not a foundling...
because rarely, very rarely a foundling born from noble father was recognized ( you can understand the problems with legal children and for the inheritance), and when this happened .. normally it happened when the son was in adult age and the father had no other children...

but Stanislao seeming to me a man born and raised in own good family, because he had good education and fluent in the languages... Torino could be the right birthplace or maybe just born in the area and studied in Torino school...
I searched abt your ancestor, but he died after 1900 census, so no much records... but by your infos, seeming to me that Stanislao, of good origin, for some reason leaving Italy and the immigration reason was not for a better life, but most probably for some problem in the italian family...
In Torino especially, the french was a official language, and especially the nobles speaking in french... so I believe that Torino can be the right birthplace...

my advice is to try in in LDS microfilms abt church records of Torino diocese( if Stanislao was catholic) that including all church records of Torino and surrounding area

Title Registri ecclesiastici della Diocesi di Torino (Torino), 1823-1899
Authors Chiesa cattolica. Diocesi di Torino (Main Author)

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... iocesi+di+ &columns=*,0,0
for baptisms abt in 1857
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
and starting from Torino town( Torino città), continuing until you will find the right record... it is a bit long, but maybe you will have success...
good luck,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”