Need Help finding GGP's birth/marriage record in Le Marche

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Carboni

Need Help finding GGP's birth/marriage record in Le Marche

Post by Carboni »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and since I've hit a brick wall in my research, I figured I should ask the experts how to proceed. I'm applying for jure sanguinis citizenship next year, so I am in a bit of a pickle if I don't find these records. I apologize in advance for the long post.

Here is what I do know about my great-grandparents:

Luigi Carboni - born May 20, 1882 in Folignano (pretty sure of this one)

Maria Colo - born December 1, 1883. Not sure which Comune she was born in; the ship manifest says Maltignano, but the town has informed me they have no record of her birth. Luigi's Petition for Naturalization says her birthplace was "Teramo." Not sure if that refers to the city of Teramo or just the Province. She had family in the nearby town of Ancarano, so that is also a possibility.

The big problem is, I do not know when or where they were married. Based on the 1930 Census, it appears they were married at ages 23 and 21, respectively. That puts their marriage date around 1905; however, I am unsure what town they married in. I know they lived in Folignano in 1909 and moved to Maltignano by 1911. I wrote to Maltignano and they have no record of marriage for my GGP's in 1905. I suppose that leaves Folignano. I'm not sure how to proceed other than to write a rather sheepish letter asking the Anagrafe to search for something that may not be there.

Any suggestions or help would be most welcome...this is the last thing holding me up for citizenship docs. The records for Le Marche are not on microfilm, so I am not sure what else to do other than to travel there myself (and I'm a little short on funds for an Italian expedition right now).

-David
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need Help finding GGP's birth/marriage record in Le Marc

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Contact Folignano and request a copy of your GGP's birth record. Ask for both "Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita" ( photocopy of original registry pages ) and "Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita" (computer-generated or handwritten extract).

Typically, the comune's copy of a birth record (as opposed to the Family History Center microfilms) will include annotations relating to marriage - spouse's name and birthplace, date and place of marriage, etc.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Contact information (including an email address)

Folignano Contact info
Folignano Postal address
Via Roma, 17
63040 Folignano (AP)
Italy
Folignano Telephone
0736-39971
Folignano Fax
0736-492079
Folignano Email
sindaco@comune.folignano.ap.it
info@comune.folignano.ap.it
Website Folignano
http://www.comunedifolignano.it

T.
Carboni

Post by Carboni »

Thank you both - so I'll send the request for the birth record to Folignano. Maybe I'll include a request for the marriage record with "around 1905" language - something like this:

Estratto atto di matrimonio-Modello Plurilingue di Carboni Luigi e Colo Maria coniugati a Folignano verso il 1905.

These are small towns we're talking about here, so I imagine most of the records are still in book form. Not sure how much hunting and searching they would be willing to do, but I can't imagine there was more than a few dozen marriages in 1905.
Carboni

Post by Carboni »

Update: finally located GGP's marriage record. Fortunately, had a relative still alive who visited the town they were married in and remembered seeing the record, although he wasn't sure of the date. I faxed over a request for a search from 1900-1909 to the Comune and they sent me the record today. Turns out it was in 1908!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great News!
:D
T.