Italian Privacy Laws

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Italian Privacy Laws

Postby pettyson2 » 14 Apr 2011, 17:39

I have contacted a professional genealogist in Italy to trace my family. He recently sent me a letter informing me that due to privacy laws in Italy, I would need to fill out some paper work he sent stating that I am indeed the granddaughter of the people I am trying to find out about and I need to provide some form of identification such as copy of passport, a drivers license or ss#. I'm interested in finding out if such a requirement exists in Italy regarding researching ones deceased ancestors. Thanks to anyone who is able to respond to this request.

Re: Italian Privacy Laws

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Apr 2011, 17:48

I believe this is completely legitimate; I provided a similar document and identification whenever I have used the services of an Italian researcher.

As an aside, it has been pointed out that many comuni (not all, but many) will not respond to mailed requests for certificates unless the request includes a photocopy of some form of identification.

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”