Unabel to decipher my Great Grandmother's Name - Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oath101

Unabel to decipher my Great Grandmother's Name - Help

Postby oath101 » 16 Apr 2011, 22:36

Hello everyone, I'm new to this and I was told this would be the best place to find answers about my ancestors. I'm working on my geneology. I just received my grandparents marriage certificate from NY - Pietro Tumminello and Josephine Tramontana. Josephine's side I've been able to find her father in the Ellis Island website. Pietro is a mystery. He was born May 25, 1894 in New York and his father's name was Giuseppe and his mother Antonia Giambolva(can't figure out the last 2 letters). To the best of my knowledge they were from Sicily. I've been told if my great grandparents on my grandfather's side are Italian born I could obtain my Italian Citizenship. Can someone help me decipher my great grandmother's surname on Pietro's side in this MC? I just realize I can't upload the MC. Does someone know? Thanks... Olga Amalia

Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Unabel to decipher my Great Grandmother's Name - Help

Postby Squigy » 16 Apr 2011, 22:43

If you upload the certificate, we may be able to better help you. Otherwise, we'd just be guessing.

Try using sites like Flickr (requires a Yahoo account) or Photobucket.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Apr 2011, 22:57

Or http://postimage.org which requires no account, no sign in, and has no advertising pop-ups or otherwise. :D
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 16 Apr 2011, 23:09

Welcome I use imageshack.com just join imageshack and upload record and paste the direct link after uploading to your message on here it will show up on your message as a prompt
It does show the surname Giambalvo in Santa Ninfa Trapani Sicily
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

oath101

Postby oath101 » 18 Apr 2011, 04:41

Thank you all let's see if this works. Here is the image. http://postimage.org/image/1bazwaq2s/
Let me know if you can see it.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 18 Apr 2011, 07:33

I believe it is Antonia Giambalvo. There are many Giambalvo in Sicily and many emigrated to US from the provinces of Trapani and Agrigento

oath101

Postby oath101 » 18 Apr 2011, 13:25

Thank you so much for the feedback. I know both great grandparents came from Sicily. The problem I'm having is finding either Guiseppe or Antonia in the Ellis Island website. Their son Pietro, my grandfather was born in Manhattan 5/25/1894. So I denitely know both of them arrived before 1894 to the U.S.
I was reading that many records before 1892 were destroyed due to a fire so I'm wondering if they arrived before then. I know Pietro had a sister and she married a Cirincione.
Unfortunately, growing up I was raised in Panama, Central America, so I was closer to my mother's side of the family and the little that I know is because of the times I visited my grandmother Josephine in NY.
Pietro was a Tumminello and then he changed it to Tumminelli and then my father changed it to Tuminelli.
Now, I'm really interested in knowing about the Giambalvos. Again, thank you so much for the feedback. This is great.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”