Surname Bruzze or Bruze

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Surname Bruzze or Bruze

Postby NOLATom » 21 Apr 2011, 06:50

Tracing my roots back in New Orleans, I found out that my ancestor that is my namesake, actually came from Italy and not France as I once thought, but it's definitely confusing. The Catholic church in New Orleans has some records on file, but things don't add up. He was born around 1771 and according to a few of the records, marriage and births of his children, it says he was born in Sardinia. One reference says Senes, Sardinia (spelled Sardegna on the certificate) Italy and it shows his father, Jean Bruse, in Genoa Italy. I do see a Senis Sardinia and a Genoni Sardinia just ten miles apart and wonder if these are the towns, but the names don't seem very Italian. I've looked for info before and came up empty handed. With the name Jean Philippe, it definitely sound French and his mother is listed as Francisca Marie Chique, which doesn't sound Italian either. I tried looking up the history of Sardinia to see if it was occupied or being settled by France at the time, but the towns are so small today, I can't imagine anyone going to live there from another country at that time. Does anyone have any thoughts or any info on the immigration in and out of Sardinia at the time and does anyone have a clue to the origins of Bruzze or Bruze?

Thanks for any help.

garybruce

Re: Surname Bruzze or Bruze

Postby garybruce » 13 May 2011, 18:11

Seems like we are searching for the same ancestor. Jean Phillipe Bruzze (Bruzzi? Bruzza?) is my husband's ggggrandfather. I'm going up empty just like you. Found anything new?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 May 2011, 20:30

Look carefully at the toe of the Italian "boot" on this map: http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=BRUZZE

Alternatively, this single Italian telephone directory listing: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=bruzze&dv=&l=en

As you can see, Bruzze is an incredibly rare surname in modern Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 May 2011, 20:35

At Ancestry . com, I see just a few passenger manifests for Bruzze:

Domenico, born about 1869, arrived New York 1903

Nicola de Bruzze, born 1868, arrived New York 1906

Maria la Bruzze, born about 1854, arrived New York 1920

Do any of these fit into your ancestry?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLATom » 14 May 2011, 19:32

johnnyonthespot:

This ancestor came over to New Orleans pre-1800 for sure because all four of his children were baptized in the catholic church in Louisiana pre-1800. I did find out that at this time, Gevona (Genoa) was part of the Kingdom of Sardinia at this time, which makes more sense that he would catch a boat from a major port in Europe versus coming from a super small farming town on the Island of Sardinia. He married a French woman once he got to Louisiana, so it makes it more of a reasonable argument that he came from a large city that might have been multi-lingual due to the invasions versus a small town where the dialect of a language was likely not understood outside of Sardinia.

garybruce:
Haven't found anything new. I have spent a lot of money on people who claim to be researchers only to get records back from them that are not even remotely close to what I am looking for. If I could find a reputable researcher in the Genoa area, i would give it a shot means Jean Philippe says his father is from Genoa also. But it's a long shot, because his name is more French than Italian and even his mother's name doesn't sound Italian (Chique). I have had luck finding some records in Italy back to the early 1700's on other branches of my family, so if we could narrow down to a small area, it's reasonable there's something out there.

I descend from (so you can see how distant of a cuz we are):
Jean Philippe
Jean Isidore
Joseph
Francois
Martin

spellingstocheck

Postby spellingstocheck » 13 May 2014, 01:58

Hello, I read your posts with interest. I too descent from Jean Philippe Bruze (Bruzze ???). I saw on the site you have listed above (gens.labo.net) that there are quite a few Bruzzas in the Genoa area......on the map. I am now wondering if perhaps the surnname was really spelled Bruzza ??

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 May 2014, 16:31

You have to go to the church records for info of pre 1800's so it would be very difficult to find info from a region of Italy let alone a town
What I would is take the namejohnnyonthespot found in the phonebook and write him and ask if he is related you might get lucky its only about $2.00 to send a letter

Vincenzo Bruzze
Via Nizza 372
10127 Torino (TO)
Italy

Ciao Vincenzo,
Sto cercando notizie della mia famiglia in Italia ed è per questo che Le scrivo: per sapere se Lei ha qualche informazione da darmi o se ha fatto per caso delle analoghe ricerche per il suo ramo della famiglia.
Sarei felice se Lei fosse uno dei miei parenti, in questo caso La pregherei di inviarmi un breve messaggio con le notizie in Suo possesso.
Il mio nome è YOUR NAME e vivo negli Stati Uniti d'America. Ho avuto il tuo nome e indirizzo dal paginebiachine . Jean Phillipe Bruzze , che era nato nel circa 1771, era il mio bis bisnonno. Jean Phillipe Bruzze emigrò negli Stati Uniti di New Orleans.

Vorrei mettermi in contatto con i miei parenti Bruzze in Italia. Allego una busta pre-indirizzata oppure puoi scrivermi a EMAIL ADDRESS
Non vedo l'ora di avere tue notizie..
Cordiali saluti,
NAME ADDRESS EMAIL Return enevelope

Hi Vincenzo,
I am looking for news of my family in Italy and that's why I write: to know if you have any information to give me, or done for the case of similar research for his branch of the family.
I would be happy if you were one of my relatives, in this case I would ask you to send a short message with the news in your possession.
My name is YOUR NAME and I live in the United States of America. I got your name and address from paginebiachine. Jean Phillipe Bruzze, who was born in about 1771, was my great-grandfather. Jean Phillipe Bruzze emigrated to the United States in New Orleans.

I would like to get in touch with my relatives in Bruzze in Italy . I enclose a self-addressed envelope, or you can email me at EMAIL ADDRESS

I can not wait to hear from you ..

Sincerely,

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”