Are Microfilm Records in Alphabetic order?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Domenichiello

Are Microfilm Records in Alphabetic order?

Postby Domenichiello » 23 Apr 2011, 19:51

I order some Microfilms they are Processetti records they include marriage records, birth records and death records and some other records.

When I was looking through them some were hard to read because of the hand writing, there was so many names and I wasn't sure if there were in Alphabetic order or in some other order, so that I would have an idea were to start to look in the film.

Thank you and God Bless.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Are Microfilm Records in Alphabetic order?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Apr 2011, 20:13

Oh, if only it were so simple!

The records are in date order; each time someone was born, died, got married, the clerk simply took this large bound book off the shelf, opened it to the first blank page, and began writing.

At the end of the year, they would go through the year's entries in each book and manually create an index - usually alphabatized by last name, though it is not uncommon to come across early indexes which were alphatized by first name. The index entries point to a record number which you can use to go back to the main part of the book and locate the actual record. Be aware that birth and death record books for each year are also separated into sections ("Parte I", "Parte II") and that these sections are usually indexed separately.

Processetti, by their very nature, can be difficult to follow because you have the initial document and then all of the attachments such as bride and groom's original birth certificates and other related documents. For this very reason, however, processetti are prized because of the weath of information contained within.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 23 Apr 2011, 20:50

Domenichiello wrote:I order some Microfilms they are Processetti records they include marriage records, birth records and death records and some other records.

When I was looking through them some were hard to read because of the hand writing, there was so many names and I wasn't sure if there were in Alphabetic order or in some other order, so that I would have an idea were to start to look in the film.

As johnnyonthespot points out, processetti, by their very nature, can be difficult to follow. However, they are usually organized in the same order as the marriage records for the given year. In addition, each individual set of processetti is usually organized in a specific order, e.g., birth record of groom, birth record of bride, death record of groom's father, etc. If you study the records to ascertain the order, then select one type of record that appears in each set (e.g., the promise to marry, which is often on a printed form and is the first or last page of a set), it can be easier to identify each individual set and differentiate it from the next. In this way, one can canvass the records. Sometimes, the date of the record and/or the names of the bride and groom can be found to the left of the first page of the set, on the reverse side of the opposite page. However, each town and/or transcriber handled it differently and this is often not the case.
John Armellino

Domenichiello

Postby Domenichiello » 25 Apr 2011, 02:16

Thank you everyone for the information

Return to “Italian Genealogy”