The way to pay for Italian certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

The way to pay for Italian certificates

Postby acartia » 25 Apr 2011, 11:09

Forgive me if this question has been answered many times before, but I am new to the site and still finding my way around. How do you folk generally pay for Birth certificates etc etc from the government record keeping departments in Italy? Of course I mean for us not living in Italy. Many years ago I paid to an office in Canada for shipping records, by a bank cheque...the cost of the records was 10 dollars, but the cost alone of the bank cheque was 25 dollars. When I applied for my fathers birth certificate in Italy also many years back ,I sent a 20 or 30 dollar International Money Order. I received the birth certificate (but thanks to Carmine`s advice, it maybe only an extract of birth certificate), and I also received the Money Order back as they said "No charge". I have a Mastercard and also access to Paypal,are these accepted by the Italian departments, or do I need another bank card of some sort,or am I back to getting the local bank here in Australia to write me out a cheque in Euros?, or maybe International Money Order again. Regards,John

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: The way to pay for Italian certificates

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Apr 2011, 13:25

I think you will find that most comuni do not charge at all for birth/marriage/death certificates, whether estratto (extract) or copia integrale (photocopy of original document) format. Indeed, my understanding is that Italian law says comuni must provide these documents at no charge to foreign requestors, although a small charge to cover postage (and copying?) is permitted. Since, as you note, there is no easy way for a comune to actually collect the money, most simply send the documents out for free.

Of course, many comuni never respond to requests at all and others take months to mail documents, so maybe the "no charge" model is not such a good idea after all.

In contrast to comuni and the records noted above, the state archives ("Archivio di Stato di [province name]") seem to always charge for the cost of photocopying and postage. In some cases, the archives will send an invoice along with the documents requested; in others they will send (postal mail or email) an invoice and await payment prior to mailing the documents. The charge is normally quite small, typically less than €5, and I have had success with simply wrapping a €5 note and mailing it off in an envelope with a copy of the invoice and a handwritten note advising them to "Tenere il resto!" (Keep the change!").

Recently someone here reported that a state archive sent an invoice with instructions to wire transfer the funds to a government account. This is the worst possible option and I hope it doesn't catch on. US banks typically charge hefty fess for wire transfers; my own bank charges $20 for a wire transfer to another US bank and a whopping $50 for international transfers.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 26 Apr 2011, 10:24

Cash in Euro is the easiest and best way.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 27 Apr 2011, 15:27

Thank you both for your response and the best way to pay for the certificates in Italy. My thinking of paying for things these days with cards etc does not at all seem relevant when looking at paying for these Italian records.I understand that, but I am used to the Australian way of modern day paying ie Credit card, internet transfer of money etc etc. But of course down here our BDMs are centralised into one office per state. Just for interest sake I checked today for Birth,death an marriage records in Perth,Western Australia,where I live, and the cost for each record was ( converted from A$ to euro) was 32.47 Euro per certificate. Now if one needed the certificate within 24 hours, it would cost and extra 28 Euro. So when you suggest that many may only be 5 Euro for certificates in Italy (even though it could {should} be free, for people outside the country), to me it is real cheap. But I understand it can take much longer, and sometimes one may never receive them. As suggested I will grab a fist full of Euros from a bank in the city, and send these off as required, as you both suggest, when obtaining these certificates from Italy. Very much appreciate your help in these questions, regards,John

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Apr 2011, 15:46

As I understand it, Italians inside of Italy who need a proper birth certificate for legal purposes must pay for both the certificate and a bollo or tax stamp. In this situation, the fees do add up to substantially more than just €5.

However, some years ago, the Italian government made special provisions for persons living abroad who require certificates for genealogical or citizenship research. As noted earlier, under these conditions, the certificates are provided at no charge, however the comuni are permitted to demand reimbursement of postage costs.

The law commonly cited is Legge 7 agosto 1990, n. 241 which can be found here http://www.handylex.org/stato/l070890.shtml

and a Google translation of same at http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... iso-8859-1

FWIW, just a few US examples:

New York State birth certificate - $30
Connecticut - $30
Florida - $9 or $14, depending on type
Nevada - $20
California - $16
Texas - $22
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Apr 2011, 23:07

johnnyonthespot wrote:...
The law commonly cited is Legge 7 agosto 1990, n. 241 which can be found here http://www.handylex.org/stato/l070890.shtml

and a Google translation of same at http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... iso-8859-1

Sorry, wrong law. The one cited above is the law which requires public officials to reply to requests from the public within 30 days. Apparently many comuni have never heard of Legge 241... but that is an entirely different matter.

I will have to find the one that makes certificates free for the asking.
Carmine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”