Searching for Tabacchi in Sottocastello di Cadore, Belluno,

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
garyfranco

Re: Searching for Tabacchi in Sottocastello di Cadore, Bellu

Post by garyfranco »

Hello all,
I could not figure out how to reply to an individual post, so excuse me blasting everyone.
I am descended from both the Tabacchi and Ciotti families in Sottocostello di Cadore.

Many of the people mentioned in the post are in either my family tree or the tree of my cousin who lives Sottocostello di Cadore and is from a branch of the family.

Perhaps I can fill in some missing blanks for some of you as my tree goes back to 1755.
raes

Post by raes »

Hello GaryFranco, nice to meet you. :)
I did a "quick reply" a while back, but I see it went nowhere, so you are not the only one who does not quite know how this site works.

I have a tree on Ancestry Family Tree Maker under "Suttie Tabacchi Family Tree".

I would like to find more about when, how and why Martino Carlo Luigi Tabacchi (Merlo) left Italy and went to Venezuela. He supposidly married my Grandmother there and I am not sure if her name was really Lucia Maria Rufio, or Lucia Maria Tabacchi as her death certificate says her father was John Tabacchi. We had always heard her surname was Rufio. He then came to the USA in 1905 and joined family in Oklahoma.

It would be nice to find a way to get the church records at the Lady Carmen of Barcellona Catholic Church, but according to my uncle Wayne (who is no longer with us) I understand the church burned down. Thanks to Mia Pia and her husband Angelo, we are back to:
Agostino (Merlo) TABACCHI born 1765, Sottocastello di Cadore, Belluno, Veneto, Italy married: 28 Mar 1795, to:
Caterina CIOTTI born 28 Nov 1768, Sottocastello di Cadore, Belluno, Veneto, Italy

Any information, or family story you can add would be greatly appricated.
Rae Suttie Tabacchi
tabach

Post by tabach »

Hi all, just happened onto this site and saw the messages re the Tabacchi family in Sottocastello. My name is John O. Tabacchi and my father's name is John L. Tabacchi (now 95 years of age). My grandfather Osvaldo Tabacchi was born in Sottocastello and married a Nella Coletti. He had 2 brothers--Lorenzo and Niso (?). The Osvaldo Pietro Tabacchi noted in Todd's post, I knew as Lento (Leanto). He was my grandfather Osvaldo's cousin. Our surname was known as Tabacchi d'Anna in Sottocastello. We don't know anything about the Coletti side. We have beed to Sottocastello a few times but our research efforts have fallen short. Was wondering if any body can help with any additional information or resources. Best Regards to all, John Tabacchi
raes

Post by raes »

Hello to all on the Tabacchi website and especially to Maria Pia & Angelo. I would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I have not been doing genealogy for the last year as my husband passed away suddenly in November of 2012 and I have not continued in my search. Hope to get back into it soon. I was in Turin, Italy for the World Masters Senior Games in August but had no time to travel but still had a wonderful time.
Rae
mariapia.girolami

Post by mariapia.girolami »

Hi Rae,
thanks for the greetings, a wonderful 2014 to you, too !
We're sorry for your husband ...
We're having some problems ourselves: Angelo's mother, Tomasina, cannot now be left alone at all, so we've a nurse taking care of her, but of course not for 24 hours a day and not 7 days per week, so Angelo and his brother are taking turns to stay with her. The problem is we live in Verona, some 3 hour journey from Pieve di Cadore, and Angelo's brother, Antonio, is having his own big problems with his family (his mother-in-law is dying of cancer and he has 2 children, one of them only 6 years old), I'm having my own problems as well (my brother had a ictus and my parents are old themselves and need to be looked after, and they live far away, too),so it all makes it more difficult. So we had no time to go into genealogy ourselves ...
Let's hope this year will be a better one and we'll all be able to get in touch more often , I'm sure it will.
Love for now,
Maria Pia & Angelo
Ritam816

Re: Searching for Tabacchi in Sottocastello di Cadore, Belluno,

Post by Ritam816 »

Hello to all. It’s five years later and I’m hoping that someone sees this. My great grandfather was Antonio Ciotti and my great grandmother was Madelena Tabacchi from Pieve Di Cadore. Trying to find out who their brothers and sisters were, if any. They also settled in Oklahoma Indian Territory for awhile. Then moved to Amsterdam Ohio then to Pittsburgh Pa and surrounding areas. I know that they had both been married before they married each other. Both were widowed and Antonio had a son Giuseppe who was 4-5 when my grandmother Elisabetta was born. If anyone can add any info, I’d be grateful. It seems we are related somewhere along the way.

Rita Mincin, Pittsburgh Pa
raes

Re: Searching for Tabacchi in Sottocastello di Cadore, Belluno,

Post by raes »

Hi Maria and Angelo,
Taking a chance, you still check-in on this website. Here it is, almost 9 years later. Being that it is Christmas time, I was thinking of you both so thought I would see if you were still looking in. You seem to have had some sad news and situations back in 2014. I hope that things have settled down and you and the family are well.

Not too much news here in the USA. I'm 78 now, still swimming, but not as fast. (ha ha) Covid shut so much down, we were not able to practice but now the adult team is back at it. I coach swimming for kids, ages 11-18 so it keeps me busy.

If you see this, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May 2023 be better for all the world.
Rae