Having trouble finding my ancestor in the 1910 census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Having trouble finding my ancestor in the 1910 census

Postby rancelli » 28 Apr 2011, 14:57

I can't find a 1910 census report for a great uncle of mine and it's driving me crazy. He was listed in the 1920 census under the name Frank Butchelle along with his kids Victor, Domenic, Marian, Mary, and Joseph. At that time he was widowed. The original spelling I think is Buccelli, but this person I found at Ellis Island was named Francesco Buccella. In the 1920 census it says he lived in Wayne Township, which is in Pennsylvania. I tried to search in the 1910 census in Wayne Township and all I found was my grandfathers family. That spelling was Buchelli. The reason why finding out this info is so important is because on the manifest sheet it says which part of Italy this guy (possibly my uncle) came from. The only way I can confirm this is by finding that 1910 census and match the name of the wife and the person on the manifest sheet. Can someone play around with the last name and hopefully come up with something? :) I know one of you guys found a 1900 census with my great grandfather. The spelling in that census was "Butcher". LOL Thanks in advance

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Having trouble finding my ancestor in the 1910 census

Postby pink67 » 28 Apr 2011, 18:10

Possible the correct lastname was Buccella:

Look at these arrival manifests... they didn't sail because their names are crossed out:

7 december 1903:

Francesco Buccella age 32, wife Angela Rosa Mastroberti age 27 and son Domenico age 2 and 11 months, from Pertosa

image:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0013

10 april 1904

Francesco Buccella, age 32 his wife Angela Rosa Mastroberti age 24 and their son Domenico age 3 years and 3 mothns, from Pertosa (Salerno province - Campania region) to (intented destination) Wampum PA

image:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

There must be another arrival manifest however the lastname was Buccella....

Laura

rancelli
Elite
Elite

Postby rancelli » 29 Apr 2011, 01:20

Hello there....Yes I found these but my question is I'm trying to find them in a 1910 census to see if I can make a match with this Angela Rosa Mastroberti woman. I'm sure she was alive at this time. In the 1920 census it says he was widowed. If I can make a match with a 1910 census along with the manifest sheet, it should give me a clue whether or not this guy was my uncle, because I also have the names of the other children. I tried so many different spellings and keep coming up with nothing. All I know is that the family lived in Lawrence County in PA. Could be in Wayne Township, or Mahoning Township area. My grandfathers family lived in Wayne Township and their name was spelled Buchelle. Frank had the following children...Domenic, Victor, Marion, Mary, Joseph. I need that 1910 census to see who the woman was.

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 03 May 2011, 11:38

If you have not considered this...You could write to Pertosa for a marriage record. Maybe marriage date around 1895-99.
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune Di Pertosa
Via Santa Maria
84030 Pertosa
Italy
Or email them info@comune.pertosa.sa.it
A good source for letters....
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

A possible 1905 manifest http://postimage.org/image/dx9fifj8/ shows a Francesco from Pertosa, married and going to see his brother Luigi. I mention this since I think maybe his wife could still be in Pertosa, otherwise, the manifest would say he is going to visit his wife. Just a guess and I know you are looking for more than guesses. This might explain why the 1910 census can't be found.
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 May 2011, 12:50

Paolo,

Based on the 1920 census, this wouldn't work. Two children, aged 10 and 12 in 1920, are listed as born in Pennsylvania, not to mention both Francesco and son Domenic state 1905 as the date of immigration. Taken together, it would seem likely that Francesco's wife was also in the US prior to 1910.

Click to enlarge.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 03 May 2011, 13:41

Hello Carmine,

I totally agree and I believe the best way to prove this marriage between Francesco and Angela Rosa Mastroberti would be to look at Pertosa.
Still looking for the 1910 census,

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

rancelli
Elite
Elite

Postby rancelli » 03 May 2011, 16:23

thanks guys for the advice. i will definitely send out a letter for a marriage certificate. thanks for the website that translates everything into italian. that's a big help right there and seems easy enough.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”