Questions on best way to obtain Italian records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Questions on best way to obtain Italian records

Postby acartia » 29 Apr 2011, 10:17

Thanks to the ones who have helped me on here regarding a family house and also best ways to pay for Italian certificates, I will be doing the following. Getting a full birth certificate of my father ( b1911), but I may as well continue on my Italian side from there, as I am not getting any younger! My fathers father it is said died maybe of Spanish flu (but it may not of been that either), but it must have been about 1918/19.(he was not in the army to my knowledge). Now his mother is said to have died shortly after (well weeks, months or maybe a couple of years after?). I have decided to attempt to get death certificates for both his mother and father, and then eventually follow back from there.Now my question(s).How close to the year of death do I need to be to obtain death certs. for both his parents? Research I have done here in Australia usually give you a 5 year span, two years before and 2 years after the year you supply.Is it similar in Italy, or does one need to be more specific on date of death?(which I can`t be really). And also would it be best to request the 3 certificates,(1 birth and 2 death) all together (of course on the appropriate application forms), or is it best to apply for them not as a batch of 3, like spread the requests out a bit. regards,John

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Questions on best way to obtain Italian records

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Apr 2011, 13:50

There is no one answer to this question. Some comuni will go out of there way to satisfy even the most complex requests in a timely manner - my maternal grandparent's comune has sent me as many as 13 documents on a single request and within less than three weeks at that.

Other comuni will simply ignore you, no matter how great an effort you make - my paternal grandparent's comune, for example.

One line of action would be as follows:

a) request your father's birth record in copia integrale format*. This document will show your grandparents full names, place of birth, and ages at the time of your father's birth.

b) next, request your grandparent's birth records in copia integrale format. With luck, you will find notations on them (the birth records) concerning the date and place of their marriage and the date and place of their deaths.

c) next, if still required, request grandparent's marriage and death records.

Or, just do it all at once and see what happens. Me, I would probably do step a first and see what kind of response I got from the comune. I would then follow-up with b and c combined.

* Birth/marriage/death photocopies of original registry pages are called: Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte

* Birth/marriage/death computer-generated extracts are: Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Questions on best way to obtain Italian records

Postby acartia » 03 May 2011, 15:48

Thanks for that advice Carmine. So I request my fathers full birth certificate, and as you suggest see what response I get and then go for my grandparents full birth certificates and depending on what I obtain, maybe then going for marriage and death certificates of grandparents. I will follow your advice on that.My wife has just returned and has a couple of 5 Euro notes, and my son is back as well,and he knows a heap more Italian than I do,and with the standard Italian forms/letters shown on here,I reckon I am ready to give it a try. I hope to return to this question/answer with good news! but as we all know it will take time. Thanks so much. Regards,John

Return to “Italian Genealogy”