Which direction to turn?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AfroBoy

Which direction to turn?

Postby AfroBoy » 03 May 2011, 11:26

Ciao tutti.

My father does not remember the DOB or DOD of his father (Carmelo). I do however have his mother's birth/death dates (Caterina).

Would there be any sense in getting my grandmother's records? Will any of her records tell me Carmelo's details?

Would the Italian consulate in Australia (where we reside) have any records of my father's family? Is it worth struggling to contact them (they're quite unresponsive at times!)?

So ... which direction should I turn?

Thanks,
Af.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Which direction to turn?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 May 2011, 14:06

Can you share full names and approximate year of birth?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

AfroBoy

Postby AfroBoy » 03 May 2011, 22:52

Ahhh, yeah I have. So any advice on my question?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 May 2011, 23:25

AfroBoy wrote:Ahhh, yeah I have. So any advice on my question?

Sure; we generally are not very shy here and share information openly. It is by far the easiest way to get meaningful help.

Your grandmother's Italian birth record may include notations concerning her marriage, so this would be a useful document to obtain. To request it, you will have to know her exact comune (town/city) of birth and a reasonable window (no more than 3 or 4 years wide).

If you haven't tried already, I would suggest you start at the Australia National Archives and see if you can find immigration records. The ones I have seen are very complete, typically including copies of birth and marriage certificates as well as other genealogically useful information. Start here http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx and click the "Search now" link. On the next page, put your surname in the keywords box and click "Search".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

AfroBoy

Postby AfroBoy » 04 May 2011, 01:04

Thanks for that Carmine. This is good stuff. I'll definitely write to Molochio and see if I can get the records of my grandmother.

I searched the NAA archives and found a few records which might be related to my family. I don't really understand the information returned though. Is there something I need to do or somewhere I need to go to see the actual document itself?

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNR ... de=3075877
Could be my father's arrival in Australia

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNR ... de=5910970
Could be my uncle's (father's brother) arrival in Australia

Cheers,
Af.

AfroBoy

Postby AfroBoy » 04 May 2011, 01:09

Ahhh, I feel I need to apologise to you Carmine. I just saw your original response and had initially only read your signature line about Google Earth. I didn't see the bit you wrote about it! :oops:

Father's name: Giuseppe Sciglitano (now living in Australia)
His father: Carmelo Sciglitano (Born in Barretteri, died in Molochio)
His father: Caterina Petullá (b. 29-June-1913, d. 24-Dec-2010 in Molochio)
Carmelo's parents are Vincenzo Sciglitano and Maria (don't know maiden name or dates)

Hope this helps a little.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 May 2011, 01:40

Not a problem; it has happened before when I write a very short reply. When I think about it, I deliberately add an extra sentence or two just to avoid confusion. :D

Returning to either of the two links you posted, look near the top-right of the page for the "Request copy" link. Vincenzo's record is available for ordering immediately; for Giuseppe's you need to first request that the record be reviewed for public access. This is strictly routine and usually means that they simply haven't gotten to that batch of files yet.

Sometimes we get really lucky and the records have already been scanned and are available instantly online; too bad that is not the case with these two. As an example of what you might find, do a search on "mollica" (lust a random Italian surname that pops into mind) and then click the icon which appears in the column labeled "Digitized item".
Carmine

AfroBoy

Postby AfroBoy » 04 May 2011, 09:12

Thanks for the tip. I totally missed that link (something wrong with my eyes lately). I've ordered a few of the documents so will wait to see what comes of them.

So other recommendations would be to write to the commune where my grandmother lived and request her documents? Can you request her birth/death/marriage certificate all in one shot or is it best to do things separately?

Thanks,
Af.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 04 May 2011, 19:18

AfroBoy wrote:So other recommendations would be to write to the commune where my grandmother lived and request her documents? Can you request her birth/death/marriage certificate all in one shot or is it best to do things separately?

Thanks,
Af.

Often birth records will include a notation of marriage and of death if the person continued to reside in Italy. Make the request for all three documents and see if they will provide them (some do)... :)

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via XXIV Maggio, 25
89010 Molochio (RC)
ITALY

Help with letters in Italian...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”