Bagliore Family...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
catlover7731

Bagliore Family...

Postby catlover7731 » 08 May 2011, 02:53

My grandparents came from Italy in the early 1900's. My Grandmother's name was Maria and my Grandfather's name James. Any other Bagliore's out there?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Bagliore Family...

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 11:55

I am going to assume that these are your grandpareents on lines 22 and 23 of this manifest:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giacimto Bagliore Name: Giacimto Bagliore
Arrival Date: 11 Apr 1901
Birth Year: abt 1877
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Tartar Prince

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Maria Bagliore Wife
Name: Maria Bagliore Wife
Birth Year: abt 1879

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.

The manifest indicates their last residence was Comune di Boscoreale, Provincia di Napoli, Regione di Campania. Today's Italian telephone directory lists a single Bagliore in all of Italy, located in nearby Casalnuovo di Napoli (~12 miles, straight line, 20 miles by road). See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... e&dv=&l=en

Given that the name is so rare, there is a reasonable likelyhood that any Bagliore you come across (try http://www.whitepages.com) is a relative of yours. :)

PS: You might want to try Facebook as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 13:31

Are you aware of any alternate spellings for Bagliore over the years?

Curiously, Ancestry . com lists six Bagliore's arriving in the US between 1901 and 1920 (your grandparents were the first!). There was another Giacinto who arrived in 1937, and then a few first-generation (?) US citizens who returned to the US by way of Newfoundland in 1945 (Rose age 25 and Marianne age 3) and Germany in 1953 (James, age not stated).

I did not find a single census for 1910, 1920, or 1930, under the Bagliore surname. I expect they exist, either mis-spelled or mis-transcribed.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 08 May 2011, 14:28

johnnyonthespot wrote:I am going to assume that these are your grandpareents on lines 22 and 23 of this manifest:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giacimto Bagliore Name: Giacimto Bagliore
Birth Year: abt 1877

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Maria Bagliore Wife
Name: Maria Bagliore Wife
Birth Year: abt 1879

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.

The manifest indicates their last residence was Comune di Boscoreale, Provincia di Napoli, Regione di Campania. Today's Italian telephone directory lists a single Bagliore in all of Italy, located in nearby Casalnuovo di Napoli (~12 miles, straight line, 20 miles by road). See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... e&dv=&l=en

Given that the name is so rare, there is a reasonable likelyhood that any Bagliore you come across (try http://www.whitepages.com) is a relative of yours. :)

PS: You might want to try Facebook as well.

Thank you so much for this information. I clicked on the link you set for the Bagliore in Italy and was wondering how would I write the address down. It looks backwards to me with state being first. I hope I am not a bother, but I would love to write to this person and just try and find out anything I could from them. Thanks again for the help. Cheryl

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 14:37

Happy to help, Cheryl.

Italian addresses are written a bit differently; try it this way:

Sig. Giovanni Bagliore
Via Nazionale Delle Puglie, 22
80013 Casalnuovo Di Napoli (NA)
ITALY

Sig. is short for Signore; a title of respect similar to "Mr."
House numbers come after the street name, not before, and can be separated by a comma. The CAP code (Italy's version of the ZIP code) comes before the city name, and the two-letter province abbreviation comes after.

The US Postal Service requires that the name of a foreign country be placed on a line by itself and written in all caps.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 14:53

Given the names and birth years of one or more of James' & Mary's children, we might be able to find the 1910, 1920, 1930 censuses.
Carmine

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 08 May 2011, 17:31

johnnyonthespot wrote:Given the names and birth years of one or more of James' & Mary's children, we might be able to find the 1910, 1920, 1930 censuses.

My father Arthur Bagliore was born on August 20th 1915 in NY.
My Aunt Rose Sue Bagliore was born on October 23rd 1913.
My Uncle Frank was born on December 8th 1909
My uncle Albert was born on Feb 23 1918.
There are a bunch more but I don't have the information. You are being very helpful. Thanks again.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 17:58

1930 Census:

1930 United States Federal Census about James Baglione
Name: James Baglione
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Baglione
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
James Baglione 53
Mary Baglione 48
Frank Baglione 19
Tony Baglione 18
Susie Baglione 17
Arthur Baglione 15
Albert Baglione 11
Lillian Baglione 9
James Baglione 5

It appears that your father and all but one of his siblings was born in Connecticut, not New York. Your thoughts?
Carmine

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 08 May 2011, 19:39

johnnyonthespot wrote:1930 Census:

1930 United States Federal Census about James Baglione
Name: James Baglione
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Baglione
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
James Baglione 53
Mary Baglione 48
Frank Baglione 19
Tony Baglione 18
Susie Baglione 17
Arthur Baglione 15
Albert Baglione 11
Lillian Baglione 9
James Baglione 5

It appears that your father and all but one of his siblings was born in Connecticut, not New York. Your thoughts?
. My father was supposedly the first of the family born in the USA. Yes I heard that they were born in Connecticut. I also had a aunt who was supposedly the child only of my Grandfather.. She is not listed on this census. She was born in Italy and we knew her as Aunt Phyllis. I know eventually everyone was in Brooklyn, except for my uncle Joseph who stayed in Conn. I was born when my grandparents where deceased and many of my uncles and aunts had grandchildren, so I am not very familiar with the family. It is great to see some of their past. I wrote a letter to the Bagliore in Italy and maybe he will respond. Thank you so much for this help. My sister was thrilled to hear about this also and is very thankful. Cheryl

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 20:08

Did you notice that the eldest son, Frank (probably Francesco), was born in Italy and didn't come to the US until 1912?

Maybe he is the sister of the missing aunt you mentioned?
Carmine

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 08 May 2011, 22:10

johnnyonthespot wrote:Did you notice that the eldest son, Frank (probably Francesco), was born in Italy and didn't come to the US until 1912?

Maybe he is the sister of the missing aunt you mentioned?

No he is my uncle Frank he was married to my Aunt Anna and lived in Staten Island. Every sibling is on the list you provided except my Aunt Phyllis. She married and later became a Deliva( sp?).There were 9 siblings all together. Like I said my father was the first child born in the USA. I didn't know that my Uncle came over later on though. That was interesting to learn. Again Thank you so much. Cheryl

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 May 2011, 23:41

Phylis is probably on the 1920 census, but, boy, it sure is hard to find...

Also, I wasn't paying close attention to the 1930 census. If you look at the document image, you will see that living at the same address are also:

Joseph Bagliore, aged 23
Gertrude, his wife, aged 21
James, their son, aged 3/12 (means 0 years, 3 months)

Joseph, like his brother Frank, was born in Italy and arrived in the US in 1912.

But there is a small problem here, isn't there? Joseph is aged 23 in 1930 and thus born in 1907. Frank is 19 in 1930 and thus born in 1911. And yet, their parents arrived in the US 1901 (manifest) or 1900 (census). So, how can this be??

There has to be an explanation... Maybe Frank and Joseph are not really James'/Mary's sons, but the children of a brother or sister?

I am a little curious also about Frank and Tony, both of whom seem to have an "M" in the Marital status column. If they are married, where are their wives?
Carmine

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 09 May 2011, 01:46

johnnyonthespot wrote:Phylis is probably on the 1920 census, but, boy, it sure is hard to find...

Also, I wasn't paying close attention to the 1930 census. If you look at the document image, you will see that living at the same address are also:

Joseph Bagliore, aged 23
Gertrude, his wife, aged 21
James, their son, aged 3/12 (means 0 years, 3 months)

Joseph, like his brother Frank, was born in Italy and arrived in the US in 1912.

But there is a small problem here, isn't there? Joseph is aged 23 in 1930 and thus born in 1907. Frank is 19 in 1930 and thus born in 1911. And yet, their parents arrived in the US 1901 (manifest) or 1900 (census). So, how can this be??

There has to be an explanation... Maybe Frank and Joseph are not really James'/Mary's sons, but the children of a brother or sister?

I am a little curious also about Frank and Tony, both of whom seem to have an "M" in the Marital status column. If they are married, where are their wives?

Wow you are good. I know my Uncle Frank married an Italian woman,but I don't know when she immigrated here. You left me something to ponder. On the Ellis Island website my grandfather made 3 trips to Italy...
1. Domenico Bagliore Bolognetta, Palermo 1907 20 View View View
2. Giacinto Bagliore Boscoreale 1905 27 View View View
3. Giacinto Bagliore Boscoreale, Italy 1910 31 View View View
4. Giacinto Bagliore Boscorealo 1901 24 View View View
5. Maria Bagliore Boscoreale 1901 22 View View View
6. Maria Bagliore Mistretta, Sicily 1912 17 View View View
According to this they came over in 1901 not 1900. Now you have me thinking. My sister is going to see the last living wife of my Uncle. Maybe she will have some insight.
Cheryl

catlover7731

Postby catlover7731 » 09 May 2011, 02:04

My uncle's wife name was BAGLIORE, Anna (GENNATTASIO). She too was born in Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”