Potesta Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GfL

Potesta Family

Postby GfL » 08 May 2011, 18:57

Hi everyone,

My mother's cousin is a Potesta and I have offered to try and help him with his family tree but have very little information regarding the origins of the Potesta name let alone his relatives prior to his Grandfather ! What I know is as below:

His Great Grandfather was Emanuel Potesta a confectioner. I do not know where he was born or when he moved to London, England assuming he wasn't born here. I have his wedding certificate which tells me he married a Jane Moore on 22nd January 1864 "Marriage solemnized at St Alphage in the Parish of Greenwich in the County of Kent". The witnesses were Robert and Susan Turner. Emanuel's age at the time of the marriage is recorded as "Full" so I know he was 21 or over. His father is on the certificate as "Potesta T Emanuell" also a Confectioner.

Jane and Emanuel had a son in 1864 and named him Emanuel but he died when a few months old. Jane had a son Sydney Herbert in 1874 and a daughter Jessie in 1876. I cannot find a birth certificate for Sydney but do have Jessie's certificate which names Emanuel as her father.

The strange thing is that Emanuel Potesta does not show up on any English Census record nor can I find a death certificate for him. Jessie is not on any census record and there is no death certificate for her either !! Both of them just disappear into thin air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GfL :)

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Potesta Family

Postby jamiecapaldi » 09 May 2011, 11:21

Emmanuel Died in the 3rd quarter 1864, Greenwich:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

GfL

Re: Potesta Family

Postby GfL » 09 May 2011, 18:28

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your help.

The record you found is for Jane and Emmanuel's baby who was named after his father. He died on the 29th August 1864 when only 5 months old. I have the death certificate.

It is the baby's father that I am trying to find. I cannot find any record of him apart from his wedding certificate when he married Jane.

GfL

Return to “Italian Genealogy”