name of Frank (Francesco) Bangrozzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

name of Frank (Francesco) Bangrozzo

Post by jackdaisy »

Researching a Frank (probably Francesco) Bangrozzo also know as Frank Rose. He emigrated from Italy and worked as a cowboy for the Buffalo Bill Wild West Circus until it ceased in 1913. Lived in NJ. Wife Josephine. Havent found the surname on any Italian surname data bases or Ellis Island or Castle Garden. Tried various spellings. Has anybody come across this name?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: name of Frank (Francesco) Bangrozzo

Post by suanj »

hi,
you can give more details? the birthdate? where he lived in NJ?
thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

suanj, I received both your postings on Frank Bangrozzo, AKA Rose but was unable to reply until now. Thank you very, very much for this information. I am certain you have the correct 1930 census and WWII draft card. I don't have access to the 1930 USA Census at home therefore I hadn't tried to look at it or the WWII draft cards. Again I want to thank you for your help. It gave me some very important information, his birth date and birth place which I did not know.

Frank was known as an "uncle" by all in the family I am researching. My wife's nephew asked me to research his great-grandfather whose name was Frank Siballo and his wife's name was Katie Colonna on their marriage record in Newark, NJ, USA. The marriage record shows Frank's parents as Forunato Siballo and Amata Maria Bozasso. Frank was born circa 1881 in Italy. No comune shown. The family folklore said he came from somewheres in the greater area surronding Napoli. I decided to look into Frank (Rose) Bangrozzo because of the similarity of Bangrozzo to Bozasso as shown on the American marriage record. The spelling of Bozasso could also be not the Italian spelling. Frank Siballo is a very mysterious man. He changed his name to Cebello, had a number of children and left his family. I have the wife's 1920 US Census in Newark with her name shown as Gibella. This is verified because all the children match exactly with the family. Folklore again said he shot a man in Newark, NJ and fled to Canada and was never heard from again. Thus as you can see if I can get a verified connection, between Frank Bangrozzo and Amata Maria Bozasso it could possibly lead me to Salerno and the Siballo family whatever the true spelling is.

I am enjoying this challenging research. Again thank you for your findings.
Jack
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a Frank Rose, born in Italy, wife Josephine living in 1930 in Newark, Essex, NJ, and a Frank Bangorozzo born in Italy, wife Josephine, living in 1930 in Verona, Essex, NJ:
1930 United States Federal Census about Frank Rose
Name: Frank Rose
Home in 1930: Newark, Essex, New Jersey
View Map

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine Rose
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Frank Rose 38
Josephine Rose 27
Concetta Rose 7
Frank Rose 6
Catharine Rose 2
Eleanor Montelione 15 (sister in law)

-------------------
1930 United States Federal Census
about Frank Bangorozzo
Name: Frank Bangorozzo
Home in 1930: Verona, Essex, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Spouse's Name: Josephine Bangorozzo

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Frank Bangorozzo 39
Josephine Bangorozzo 35

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Frank Bangrozza
Name: Frank Bangrozza
Birth Date: 22 Mar 1892

Birth Place: Salerno, Italy
Residence: Essex, New Jersey
wife: Josephine...

who is your ancestor?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Jack I deleted my second post and again wrote it, you can read above... I believe that also Bangrozzo or Pagarozzo surname's version are no correct; I believe that maybe the right spelling, MAYBE, was Panagrosso... abt Siballo that you are searching for I believe that the right italian spelling could be Cibella... if you post the infos that you have abt this peoples maybe I can help,
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

Saunj. Thank you for the additional census. The Frank Bangorozzo census in Verona, NJ appears to be the correct one. Verona is a suburb of Newark. I checked with the family and they said he never had any children so that eliminates Frank Rose. They said he used Rose when he was with the Wild West Show. The draft card is also the correct draft card which gives us Salerno as his birth place.

I will get back to you tomorrow with what information I have on Frank Siballo as his name is spelled on his marriage record. It is late here in New Jersey and I will get back to you tomorrow.
Jack
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

saunj, here is what I know about Frank Cebello (name in USA). Italian name as known does not appear to be accurate. It probably is some version of Siballo.
Origin: Family says somewhere in the area of Napoli or adjacent regions.
Immigration date: unknown. Sometime before his marriage in 1904 in USA.
US Census records: didnt find any that can be verfied to be him. None even close. I have a 1920 US census with his wife and children living with her parents in Newark, NJ.
Marriage Record: Only verified record available. All information below taken as spelled on marriage record:
Marriage date 7 Dec 1904
Groom-Frank Siballo. Occupation shoemaker. Birthplace-Italy. age 23. Living at 181 8th Ave, Newark, NJ
His father Fortunato Siballo
His Mother Amata Maria Bozasso. (Third letter very much in doubt. Looks like an American English written "r" but does not resemble any other "r" written on the form. Best guess is that it was a "z')
Bride-Katie Colonna. birthplace USA, Age 17. Living at 107 7th Avenue, Newark, NJ.
Her Father Horatio Colonna.
Her Mother Carmella Gillani.
1920 Census shows:
Head Aurozio Colonna
Wife Carmella Colonna
Katherine Gibella Daughter
Fortunato Grandchild
Angelo Grandchild
Maria Grandchild
Romeo Grandchild
Lorinda Grandchild (Florence)
Frances Grandchild.

Family information: All of the above are deceased. I have talked with several descendants but did not learn very much. They really don't have any records of the family. Also there is some resentment against the Grandfather because he ran away from his wife and children. He was never heard from again. Reportedly he fled to Canada.

Possible relative:
Frank Bangrozza (various spellings). Information from his US draft card. Born 22 Mar 1892. in Salerno Italy. Married to Josephine. No known children. In the last years of his life he lived with one of Frank Siballo's children in Verona, suburb of Newark, NJ. He was considered an uncle and was called by what sounded like "C-Frank" or "Si-Frank". Because of the similarity of his surname to the Mother of Frank Siballo, Amata Maria Bozasso (spelling?)I was hoping there was a family connection that would lead me to Frank Siballo and his birth in Italy. Salerno as you know is not that far south of Napoli and this would bolster the belief that Frank Siballo was from somwhere around Napoli.

So, there you are. That is all I know about the family. I very much appreciate your interest in this family.

Jack
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

saunj, here is some additional information. I went to our library and was able to access the 1930 US census. The same census page you gave me for Frank Bangorozzo shows he and his wife living with the wife of Frank Siballo( now Cebello) and her children and the narried son living seperately on the next 3 lines.
It also said Frank Bangorozzo arrived in NY in 1900. I searched Ellis Island and found a Francesco Paguotto, 18, from Salerno. That is the only Francesco arriving in 1900 from Salerno the Ellis Island search produced for 1900. No way of knowing if that is him.

Jack
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Jack thank you;
here the 1930 census image:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... rozzo.jpg/
I spent some hour sarching abt the WWI darft registration card of Frank Bangorozzo and no luck, ditto for Frank Cebello, maybe around 1917/8 he already left Newark or the USa... who know? I searched abt the probable surname spell of Bangrozzo .. and no luck... my idea is that the right surname spelling is Panagrosso, maybe mispelling on ellisisland.org... but I cannot find nobody Francesco Panagrosso... the Panagrossos coming from Cimitile (Naples province); so no Salerno province; abt Salerno as birthplace I believe that is some Commune in Salerno province...It are some Cibellis in the Newark censuses, sometime spelled Cibello.. but almost for one, the original surname was CibelliS ( yes= Cibellis) and the people with this surname version, residing in Newark coming from another province( Avellino and Caserta provinces) so no Salerno...
the problem is the surname spelling almost for Frank Bangorozzo... but I wish to ask you: Frank Bangorozzo was related in some way at Frank Cebello or just you asked abt he, for the sound with Frank cebello mother maiden name? because if no related, it is no helpful to search also abt this people... because it are so many similar surnames, and of different provinces....
you searched in local newspaper archive abt the problem of Frank Cebello? if he go in Canada, however I no found immigration arrival; maybe by train? it is possible... needing of to descover more... I searched also in 1910 census and nobody Frank and Catherine Cebello married and with children Fortunato and Angelo.. no luck and I made a extensive search... so where they was?
Only if we found more infos the search can make progress...
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

suanj, thank you for your reply. I downloaded the copy of the census since I could only copy it by hand at the library. The family tells me that they believed that Frank Bangorosso was an uncle but they didn't know how. After his wife died he lived with the family. I havn't looked in any newspaper archives so far because I don't know when it took place of if it even took place. I am going to get Frank Bangorosso's death record to see if can give me any help.

I am going to see what else I can learn about them in the USA first. There are still sources ro be explored. I am going to look into your suggestions. I'll get back to you and let you know what progress I have made.

Thank you again for all the time and effort and the information you have found. It is a big help.

Jack
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Jack,
I searched so much the arrival of Francesco Cibello/Cibella/ Cibellis/ Scibilia/ etc and no results.. also abt Frank Bangorozzo WWI draft registration card and no result( in the hope of more detail abt birthplace); I searched abt the probable surname spelling: Panagrosso, more probable, but no results;

also I found a family in 1910 census with a surname spelled Pizzerosso and living in Newark Ward 15, Essex, New Jersey; the family was:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Pizzerosso
Name: Joseph Pizzerosso
Age in 1910: 42
Estimated Birth Year: 1868
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Pizzerosso
Home in 1910: Newark Ward 15, Essex, New Jersey
Marital Status: Married
Year of immigration: 1881

Name Age
Joseph Pizzerosso
Elizabeth Pizzerosso
Verto Pizzerosso
Lizzie Pizzerosso
Katie Pizzerosso
Mary Pizzerosso
Josephine Pizzerosso
Rosie Pizzerosso
Tillie Pizzerosso
Minnie Pizzerosso
Solly Pizzerosso
10/12
[0]
the only similar surname in Salerno and Salerno area is Pizzolarusso;
1910 census images:
pag 1 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62 ... 19101.jpg/
pag 2 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... 19102.jpg/

the address is in 1910: 206 8th Ave, Newark, NJ
Frank Cibello in 1904 lived at: 181 8th Ave, Newark, NJ

in Pizzerosso family was nobody Frank, and Frank Bangorozzo was born in Italy in 1892, so it was no the son of this Joseph... maybe a relative?

Frank Bangorozzo in 1910 working at Circus, so ... who know... where he was?In 1930 census, this Joseph surname is spelled Pizzirusso; imm. in 1885, living at same address of 1910 census:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Pizzirusso Name: Joseph Pizzirusso
Home in 1930: Newark, Essex, New Jersey
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Pizzirusso

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Joseph Pizzirusso 62
Elizabeth Pizzirusso 60
Salvatore Pizzirusso 21

1920:
1920 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Pizzeresso Name: Joseph Pizzeresso
[Joseph Pizzerasso]
Home in 1920: Newark Ward 1, Essex, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Pizzeresso
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1885
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Joseph Pizzeresso 52
Elizabeth Pizzeresso 46
Solly Pizzeresso 10
Minnie Pizzeresso 12

so it is hard to say abt Bangorozzo surname spelling and the right Cebello surname spelling...
that is important for the search...

maybe to find the death act of Frank Bangorozzo as a well the marriage act can be helpful...
I searched by given name of Katie, Angelo, Fortunato and Frank in 1910 census and no results also... so where was the family? the 1910 census is important because we can know the probable immigration year, the surname spelling...(!) and if Frank was naturalized or alien...
the last child was born abt in 1915, and because no WWI draft registration card abt Frank Cibello/Cebello maybe the Frank problem was between 1915/8...
I believe not that Frank came in Canada; if really he had this problem, the Canada was not the better place for to escape; maybe the south America or back in Italy who know...?
Let me know your suggestions,
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jackdaisy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jackdaisy »

saunj, Your email covered a lot of ground and has a number of good ideas. The Pizzerosso family censuses are a good thought to persue. Our family did come up with an obituary on Frank B. for me. Unfortunately they didn't keep the date but it said he died at 81 and we know he states he was born in 1892 so the death date should be 1973. The government will only give out death information for that late a year to relatives and I am sure they will want the day and month. I know the church cemetery where he is buried and have a relative that works for the church so I can ask her to get the death date for me on Frank and his wife and request a record for them from the state. That will take a little time of course. The draft card said he was born in 1892 and the census said he came in to Ellis Island in 1900. That makes him 8 years old when he arrived. Awful young..The obituary also said he had a brother in Australia and a sister in Italy. No Names. His marriage obiviously took place earlier and that should be available if I can deduct when. I'll have to work on that.
Here is something interesting, I searched Ellis Island puting in the given name, Francesco only and the year 1900 that Frank states on the census as his arrival date. A bunch of Francescos came up but only one was promising. It was:
Francesco Paguotto
18 years old
single, a farmer
from Salerno.
Concerning Frank Cebello, his youngest child is 15 on the 1930 census thus was born circa 1915. This would match up with your estimate of when he left his wife.
You gave me a lot to think about and to work on. Thank you.
Jack
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok, Jack, I understand....
I found a 1920 census , and maybe is abt Frank Bangrozzo... the surname spelling is different, but I think that could be the same person:
1920 United States Federal Census
about Frank Barrozzi Name: Frank Barrozzi
[Frank Barrozo]
[Frank Bonazzi]
Home in 1920: Newark Ward 1, Essex, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Josephine Barrozzi
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1902
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Frank Barrozzi 24
Josephine Barrozzi 22

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51 ... rozzi.jpg/

it is hard to say.. Frank Bangrozzo in 1930 was no naturalized, but made the first papers.. so maybe he naturalized after 1930... to find that is also important... the surname is so much wrong that really is a mystery....
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well another piece; I found Frank Bangrozzo 1910 census; the surname is spelled Bagarogga:
1910 United States Federal Census about Frank Bagarogga
Name: Frank Bagarogga
[Frank Bagarossa]
[Frank Bagasogga]
Age in 1910: 19
Estimated Birth Year: 1891
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Home in 1910: Newark Ward 15, Essex, New Jersey
Marital Status: Single
Year of immigration: 1907

Giuseppe Annischino
Angela Annischino
Gorengo Annischino
Frank Annischino
Michael Bagarogga
Frank Bagarogga

Antonio Pizzuto
Vito Rovania

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/71 ... rozza.jpg/
I am sure that is Frank Bangrozzo; the original surname must be: Bagarozza... Michael 50 old must be the Frank's father...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Francesco Bagarozza arrival:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Francesco Bagarozza
Name: Francesco Bagarozza
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1907
Birth Year: abt 1892
Birth Location Other: castelnnove di canza
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Algeria
Search Ship Database: Search the Algeria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

born in Castelnuovo di Conza ( Salerno province) joining at father Michael in Newark, NJ

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/54 ... rozza.jpg/
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH