Book Recommendations on Italian Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Book Recommendations on Italian Genealogy

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 May 2011, 04:18

Hi all! Hope you are well.

I haven't seen this thread on here yet so I apologize if it was posted recently, but when I did a search I came up with over 2200 posts with the word "book" in them so I wasn't about to go though all of those... :lol:

Several fellow members have suggested books to me in the past as well as recently so I thought it would be fun to post and ask you what you're favorite books on Italian Genealogy are?

Those suggested to me recently: Marty suggested Italian Genealogy Records by Trafford Cole and Peg suggested two books regarding Italian infant abandonement (one of my great-grandmothers was abandoned) titled Amalia's Tale and Sacrificed for Honor.

If everyone contributes their favorites and most interesting books and we get a large enough list I can make a document of all the books and we can post it here for everyone to enjoy. :mrgreen:
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Book Recommendations on Italian Genealogy

Postby wldspirit » 13 May 2011, 20:15

A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors : by Lynn Nelson. This guide shows you how to research your Italian ancestors using the microfilms of the Family History Library.

Another favorite, albeit not related specifically to Italian Genealogy,
The Family Tree Problem Solver: by Marsha Hoffman Rising. Proven methods for scaling the inevitable brick wall.

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 14 May 2011, 19:33

Thank you, wldspirit! I've added those to my list and if more folks contribute and the list gets lengthy we can post it here for everyone's benefit :)
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 05 Jun 2011, 15:07

Just had to thank you, Wldspirit! I received the Lynn Nelson book on Thursday and have barely put it down! It's really good and although I've been at this for awhile now it's suitable for all levels of experience and I already know that I will reference it often over the coming years. I also got a Marsha Hoffman Rising book, but I got her newest one just published in 2011: The Family Tree Problem Solver: Tried and True Tactics for Tracing Elusive Ancestors. I'll let you know how that one is once I get started on it. I also purchased some others as well so I will post here with my opinion/reviews. Thanks so much for the suggestions! :)
Tricia Fierro

Return to “Italian Genealogy”