Help please for LDS comune records on Film

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Help please for LDS comune records on Film

Postby acartia » 24 May 2011, 13:27

I have found on-line the film`s available for Castelnuovo di Garfagana held by the LDS`s. These are the civile records from 1866 to 1935.There are about 15 films in total.I can handle the Nati,Matrimoni and Morti (with the date ranges of course),even with my very limited Italian! but where I need advice is on the following records on some films.Allegati(Morti)(with date range),ditto for Matrimoni and Nati. Also Pubblicazioni (with date range).I sort of have a rough idea of what is means, but really have no idea of what these other records consist of.I have decided I may order a couple of films,(as well as obtaining the official ones from the Comune registry), as there are some events I am not real sure of the dates and will need to do a search by using some LDS films.Any help greatly appreciated.John

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help please for LDS comune records on Film

Postby Bette » 24 May 2011, 13:52

I'll answer your question, but first I would like to say that if you are just starting out researching Italian records, it would be a good idea to get one of the books available that covers this subject. I am referring to the soft cover book, "A Genealogist's Guide To Discovering Your Italian Ancestors" by Lynn Nelson (reasonable priced at abt $17) or the indepth, more expensive, hard cover book entitled, "Italian Genealogy Records" by Trafford Cole. By reading one of these books, you will get more out of your research.

Now...to briefly answer your question: There are several different types of marriage records. The marriage bans had to be published ahead of time and these are usually referred to as "pubblicazioni". This document announces the couple's intention to marry and gave the public a chance to oppose the union. Another type of marriage document is called the "allegati", contains all the documentaion the couple provided in order to marry. This included their birth records and any historical records, like death records of previous spouses or if their parents are deceased, the death records of their parents, etc. These are invaluable records. The "Atti di Matrimoni" is the actual record of the marriage. Hope this helps.
Bette

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 May 2011, 15:21

Hi here is some useful reading for you on Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/

Allegati is great(sometimes you get lucky) but alot of the time is just birth and marriage records of the couple getting married. Alot of times your best bet is to stick with birth, marriage and death records.
Good Researching

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 25 May 2011, 15:29

Thanks Bette for your reply re my question.I have only been into my Italian genealogy for a few weeks and still have not bought a book to help me through.I have been watching TRICIAFIERRO post on best Italian genealogy books and I have noticed of just two respondent`s, that the book you suggested by Lyn Nelson is also suggested by WILDSPIRIT, and at the price that it is, I will start off with that for sure. I now have a good idea on the Pubblicazoni and Allegati records and understand what to expect from those records. I have checked out also the linc`s that Marty suggested, which will be a great help before and after I buy my book. I found it a bit scary though looking at one birth certificate in English and with my zero knowledge of the Italian language,and eventually having to work through that style of birth record, but in Italian of course!! But as long as I can get names and dates,I can only try my best.Thanks Bette and Marty for you generous help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 25 May 2011, 15:48

John, you are definitely on the right track with the Lynn Nelson book. It is the easiest to take as a reference when you go to the Family History Center. It is easy to understand, and gives examples of the actual record, the same record with the handwritten parts typed, and again with the translation. BTW - you might want to take a good magnifying glass as well...

The Trafford Cole book is an EXCEPTIONAL resource, and if you continue with your Italian genealogy search, it's a "must have."

When you find documents that are difficult to translate, just post them here. We have many great volunteers who can do the translation for you!

Good luck in your research :-)

T.

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 26 May 2011, 17:33

Tessa thanks for your response and also your added good mention of the Lynn Nelson book. I will be going to the LDS libraries so will make sure I take it with me. I will try for the Cole book as well.I appreciate your encouragement,and it is great to know we have some excellent translators on the site. Thanks again,John

Return to “Italian Genealogy”