Italian Passports c1928

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Passports c1928

Postby acartia » 27 May 2011, 03:16

My father arrived in Australia in 1928.I presume he would have had a passport, as he arrived by the normal channels of immigration, which I have records of. Passports are valuable and people normally keep them, but I had never seen my fathers passport. So I was wondering if he ever had one to begin with, or if he lost it over the years. Would they have had a photo in the Italian passport in 1928? It is too late now, but I am just curious of what the Italian passport consisted of at about 1928. John

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Passports c1928

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 May 2011, 03:37

Scroll about halfway down this page http://www.slipperypond.co.uk/category/slipperypeople/page/9 and click on the passport image for an example from the period in question.

Have you searched the Australia National Archives for your ancestor's immigration and/or naturalization records? Usually all sorts of great documents there; let me know if you would like "how to" info.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 27 May 2011, 03:51

That is great Carmine. There is no doubt it is a very formal passport and with photo as well.What happened to my fathers one?! Whatever has happened to it,I have never sighted it. I do have some immigration etc records that I obtained about 15 years back, but I must find them and just see if there are more records available now, and I think there are.Really nice to see an old Italian passport, thanks again.John

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 27 May 2011, 07:01

After posting this, I have been putting my thoughts together re no Italian passport sighted by me for my father.My father in WW2 was not a naturalised Oz. He was detained as an alien, even though he was engaged to marry my mother, who was a 4th generation Oz.I am not sure if he was actually interned as such, as some other Italians were.I think he spent less than a year under some sort of confinement in the bush,100 miles from the capital Perth in Western Australia. He was treated with respect, and I think the authorities decided he would be more use to the Oz war effort and society and himself,if he went back to growing vegies at his uncles market garden near the city.But his uncle was sent to another state over to the east of Australia, and I believe spent the duration of the war in formal internment.His uncles wife and their young son were both Italian born. I ramble on here a bit! What I am thinking re passport missing,is that maybe it was confiscated when he was interned/detained or later when he became a naturalised Oz a few years after.I sort of think that when he became a naturalised Australian citizen, his Italian passport would be useless and maybe made to be confiscated. As far as I am concerned the passport will never be seen again,it has long gone, but it was nice to see an Italian passport from the earlier days that Carmine presented. John

Return to “Italian Genealogy”