Nicolaio as a first name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Nicolaio as a first name

Postby acartia » 01 Jun 2011, 15:19

I just found mention of a ggGrandfather,whose first name was Nicolaio. He was around at about 1800. I googled the name in as I had not heard that first name before. Well it appears to be from old Greek and it means......Victory of the people. The name is used mainly in Portugal (gee I hope I do not have to start looking there as well!!). But I notice it is a surname in Italy. Maybe my ggGrandfather was named after an earlier generation who had the surname Nicolaio. If that is the case, it may be easier to track back from him if possible, back into the 1700s. Has anyone on here run into Nicolaio as a first name in Italy? John

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Nicolaio as a first name

Postby adelfio » 01 Jun 2011, 19:46

I have seen it only once what part of Italy John?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Nicolaio as a first name

Postby acartia » 02 Jun 2011, 02:23

A now deceased Italian born cousin of mine who immigrated to Scotland wrote this down."At the end of the year 1800 Nicolaio Terni was living in the village of Colle near the comune of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana." It comes under the Lucca province I believe. Thanks Marty, it is interesting to know that you have seen that as a first name, but not often! John

Return to “Italian Genealogy”