Question on Italian document

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
egrbvr
Rookie
Rookie

Question on Italian document

Postby egrbvr » 05 Jun 2011, 19:19

I see the following on my GGF marriage doc...his wife, Domenica Marie Ciani is the daughter of: "couple" Francesco Ciani and Rosa Bonomo. Does that mean that her parents were not married or do they just always put the maiden name of the mother? :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Question on Italian document

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Jun 2011, 19:20

They always put the maiden name of the mother... :-)

T.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jun 2011, 20:28

egrbvr wrote:I see the following on my GGF marriage doc...his wife, Domenica Marie Ciani is the daughter of: "couple" Francesco Ciani and Rosa Bonomo. Does that mean that her parents were not married or do they just always put the maiden name of the mother? :)

I am curious about your use of the quoted word, "couple" above. Are you saying that the Italian word "coppia" is used and that it preceeds the names of the parents?

What year is this document from? Can you quote the passage exactly, in Italian, as it is written?

As to maiden names:

1) Italians have no concept of legal name change upon marriage. See http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic21992.html#p162005 for a recent discussion on this subject

2) If you look at your own (presumably US) birth certificate, you will see that your mother is listed using her maiden name. Common practice. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

egrbvr
Rookie
Rookie

Postby egrbvr » 05 Jun 2011, 22:31

Thanks T... I really WAS smiling when I wrote that! and thank you Carmine.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”