Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Military Records

Postby Mbmal » 06 Jun 2011, 18:30

I need to find the military records of gggf. he was born in misilmeri and, i believe, served in 1918. is there somewhere that i can write for that and is there any letter template that i can use.

if i need to write to the commune there...can anyone provide the address..

thanks
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Military Records

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Jun 2011, 20:05

Military records are normally found at the provincial archives of the province which includes the birth comune, in this case, Palermo. You can use this template:

06 giugno 2011 [giugno is June; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA

Archivio di Stato di Palermo
Corso Vittorio Emanuele 31
90133 Palermo
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo affinché mi aiutiate a reperire:

* FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO
* FOGLIO MATRICOLARE
* REGISTRO DI LEVA

per il mio trisavolo:

* [gggf's name, last name first, all caps] nato nel Comune di Misilmeri, in data [date of birth or 'circa 1884'], paternità [his father's given name if you know it else 'incerto'], maternità [mother's full maiden name if you know it "SMITH JANE" else 'incerto']

Vi prego di farmi sapere quanto dovuto per il servizio e per i costi di spedizione.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Date of birth should be written as shown above; day number, month spelled out in italian, year.

email address: as-pa@beniculturali.it
web: http://www.archiviodistatodipalermo.it/index.php

State archives usually charge a small fee to cover the cost of copying and postage. This typically amounts to less then €5. They will send you a bill, sometimes by email (if you provide an address, of course). Some state archives will mail the bill and the documents the same day; others will send a bill and wait for payment before mailing the docs.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 06 Jun 2011, 20:10

Carmine, thank you you are always so helpful.
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adelfio » 07 Jun 2011, 01:11

Heres a website for you about some info on military records go to the read section

http://www.myitalianfamily.com/record/home_record.htm

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy