Question about the order of names on Birth Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Haztek
Master
Master

Question about the order of names on Birth Record

Postby Haztek » 12 Jun 2011, 18:49

On a birth record, if it shows a name such as Crispino Maria Rosa, is Maria or Rosa the first name? So, would it be Maria Rosa Crispino, or Rosa Maria Crispino?

Thanks,

Jerry
Researching Crispino, Simeone, Cillo, & Girardi in Rotondi & Cervinara. Malvuccio, Lo Grande, Astone, & Munforti in Raccuja.

oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Question about the order of names on Birth Record

Postby oilman19 » 12 Jun 2011, 21:40

I would say it is Maria Rosa. That is the way I have always seen it on my documents.
I don't believe I have ever seen the other way.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

Haztek
Master
Master

Postby Haztek » 12 Jun 2011, 21:57

Thank you!
Jerrry
Researching Crispino, Simeone, Cillo, & Girardi in Rotondi & Cervinara. Malvuccio, Lo Grande, Astone, & Munforti in Raccuja.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Jun 2011, 23:43

Interestingly, female children were often given names like "Maria Rosina" and they went by Rosina, whereas male children would be named "Giuseppe Maria" and they went by Giuseppe; the "Maria" part being an honorific to the Virgin Mary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”