I also need birth certificate for grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
alm
Rookie
Rookie

I also need birth certificate for grandfather

Postby alm » 16 Jun 2011, 06:00

Luigi Marcucci
Born Feb 5, 1893
Ripa Teatina, Chieti, Abruzzi, Italy

I was there and saw some records in the town hall in Ripa, but I'm not sure if they have what is needed to file for dual citizenship. I remember they did tell me there had been a fire at some point and a lot of records were destroyed.

Are people finding that pay services are necessary to get this dual citizenship thing done - or is it possible to gather all the documents needed by phoning and writing letters? If I write to authorities in Ripa Teatina myself, it it possible that I can get the birth certificate or birth record needed?

I am so grateful to all of you who take the time to help us novices. Thank you in advance.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: I also need birth certificate for grandfather

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2011, 11:23

Your first step should be to write the comune and request the birth certificate; hopefully you will either receive the document or a letter explaining why it cannot be found and you can proceed from there. Possibly if the comune's records were destroyed, there may be copies at the state archives of Chieti, but you need to begin with the comune.

Try this:

16 giugno 2011 [giugno is June; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Ripa Teatina
Via N. Marcone, 42
66010 Ripa Teatina CH
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo affinché mi aiutiate a reperire:

* Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita

per il mio nonno:

* MARCUCCI LUIGI nato nel Comune di Ripa Teatina, in data 05 febbraio 1893, paternità [his father's given name if you know it else 'incerto'], maternità [mother's full maiden name if you know it "SMITH JANE" else 'incerto']

Vi prego di farmi sapere quanto dovuto per il servizio e per i costi di spedizione.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Most comuni do not charge for these documents. Do send a large, self-addressed (but not stamped) envelope if possible; be sure to put "STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA" in the final line of your address. It is also a good idea to include a copy of your ID (driver's license, for example) as some comuni will not process your request without it.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2011, 14:06

By the way, could this possibly be your grandfather? If so, it is imperative that your father (mother?) was born before April 24, 1935. On or after that date, this Luigi had already lost his Italian citizenship and thus could not pass it on to any future children.

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) about Luigi Marcucci
Name: Luigi Marcucci
Birth Date: abt 1893
Age at event: 42
Court District: Pennsylvania
Date of Action: 24 Apr 1935

Click to enlarge.

You can order copies of the actual naturalization documents from the National Archives. Start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=Start&SWEHo=eservices.archives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"

Be sure to request the "Certified Paper Copy" which will cost you a total of $22.50. Response time is often less than two weeks.

When completing the order form, you may encounter fields which demand you enter something even though you don't have the information available; just put X's or 9's in those fields and continue. The number at the top right of the index card is the actual certificate number issued.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

alm
Rookie
Rookie

Postby alm » 16 Jun 2011, 14:18

Thank you! Yes, dad was born in the 20s and is still alive. And yes that is GF's record.

I did go through the steps to order the file on GF's naturalization and I have it. But it is just photocopies or computer printouts. There are print outs or copies or mimeographs of the Declaration of Intent, the Petition, and the Certificate, plus a couple form letters to me from INS.

Is a certified copy something different? More formal? There is no present-day stamp or seal on any the papers I got.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2011, 15:14

You will probably be okay with the docs you have; worst case is the consulate will say they need certified copies in which case you can order from National Archives as above and get them within a few weeks (as opposed to USCIS which can take months and does not certify anyway).

Certified copies are generally the same documents with a stamp and signature indicating they are true copies of original documents held by such-and-such governmental entity.
Carmine

ripateatina101

Postby ripateatina101 » 11 Jul 2011, 21:58

Yes, it is possible to get records from the comune di Ripa. Check out the website http://www.comune.ripateatina.ch.it/hh/index.php - the info to get records of your family history is listed on this site. Let me know if you have trouble with the Italian and I can translate for you. I had an uncle named Luigi Marinucci - my parents, grandparents and great grandparents are all from Ripa.

Good luck.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”