Caprio in Italy and Boston

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nckarter

Caprio in Italy and Boston

Postby nckarter » 22 Jun 2011, 18:45

I am trying to locate information on Vito Caprio b. 1848 in Lapio, Avellino, Campania, Italy and died in Maine in 1937. He is buried in Holy Cross cemetery in Malden, Middlesex, MA. He came to the US in 1911 and settled in Boston. At the time I find him on the 1920 census in Boston his wife is named Consiglia. But I think he had been married before and Consiglia was a 2nd wife. His youngest son Alfredo moved to Portland Maine and Vito moved up there to live with him. He had a son named Donato Dominick but we don't know who Donato's mother is. Donato was born 1876 in Taurasi, Italy. Donato came back and forth to the US several times as a single man. When he went back to Italy in 1906 he married Concetta De Simone. They had 2 children in Italy and then returned to the US before 1910. They had the following children: Vito, Giovanni, Anna, Jennie, Frank and Vito (the first Vito died in 1919 and when they had a child in 1920 they named him Vito). Does anyone know anything about this family?

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Caprio in Italy and Boston

Postby Paolo47 » 23 Jun 2011, 12:15

I am trying to locate information on Vito Caprio b. 1848 in Lapio, Avellino, Campania, Italy and died in Maine in 1937

Hello,
I know of research of Caprio family in Valva and Colliano, Salerno, Campania. Possibly no relation to Caprio in Lapio, Avellino, but you never know.
You are welcome to visit the Kathy Caprio web site at http://www.valvacollianoconnections.com ... h&htx=page
You can contact the administrator (Kathy) using the link at the bottom of the page.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jun 2011, 18:32

nckarter wrote:I am trying to locate information on Vito Caprio b. 1848 in Lapio, Avellino, Campania, Italy and died in Maine in 1937. He is buried in Holy Cross cemetery in Malden, Middlesex, MA. He came to the US in 1911 and settled in Boston. At the time I find him on the 1920 census in Boston his wife is named Consiglia. But I think he had been married before and Consiglia was a 2nd wife. His youngest son Alfredo moved to Portland Maine and Vito moved up there to live with him. He had a son named Donato Dominick but we don't know who Donato's mother is. Donato was born 1876 in Taurasi, Italy. Donato came back and forth to the US several times as a single man. When he went back to Italy in 1906 he married Concetta De Simone. They had 2 children in Italy and then returned to the US before 1910. They had the following children: Vito, Giovanni, Anna, Jennie, Frank and Vito (the first Vito died in 1919 and when they had a child in 1920 they named him Vito). Does anyone know anything about this family?

Possible manifest for Vito?
Age 63, shoemaker
Arriving Boston, December 1911, on SS Canopic
Traveling with wife Maria Pancillo, 53
Children: Antonina, 16, Pal??? 13, and Alfredo 11.
Leaving son Donato in Taurasi
Destination son Ermelindo Caprio in Boston, MA

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify
Line 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

page 2

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jun 2011, 18:57

A POSSIBLE manifest for siblings: Donato, 24, Rosina, 21, and Ermelindo, 16, Caprio
Arriving NY May 1900
Leaving Taurasi, Italy
Destination - Boston, to Uncle Nazzaro Rizzo on "Weber Place?"
Passage was paid for by this uncle...
Looks like Donato (and maybe the others) were in USA in 1891 and 1896.

Lines 5, 6, 7

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jun 2011, 19:00

nckarter wrote:I am trying to locate information on Vito Caprio b. 1848 in Lapio, Avellino, Campania, Italy and died in Maine in 1937. He is buried in Holy Cross cemetery in Malden, Middlesex, MA. He came to the US in 1911 and settled in Boston. At the time I find him on the 1920 census in Boston his wife is named Consiglia. But I think he had been married before and Consiglia was a 2nd wife. His youngest son Alfredo moved to Portland Maine and Vito moved up there to live with him. He had a son named Donato Dominick but we don't know who Donato's mother is. Donato was born 1876 in Taurasi, Italy. Donato came back and forth to the US several times as a single man. When he went back to Italy in 1906 he married Concetta De Simone. They had 2 children in Italy and then returned to the US before 1910. They had the following children: Vito, Giovanni, Anna, Jennie, Frank and Vito (the first Vito died in 1919 and when they had a child in 1920 they named him Vito). Does anyone know anything about this family?

Could it have been a son named Ermelindo that was in Maine? Maybe the youngest of the first wife?

Social Security Death Index

Name: Ermelindo Caprio
SSN: 004-07-XXXX
Last Residence: 04103 Portland, Cumberland, Maine, United States of America
Born: 17 Aug 1884
Died: May 1972
State (Year) SSN issued: Maine (Before 1951)

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jun 2011, 19:11

Another possible manifest for Donato (transcribed with spelling errors in database as Lonato)

Arriving Boston June 1910...
Leaving wife Concetta in Taurasi
Going to brother Ermelindo in Boston, MA at 6 Moon St.
Donato is listed as a US Citizen...may want to look for Naturalization records :-)

Line 10
page 1

page 2

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jun 2011, 19:24

It looks like Donato may have used his middle name for his US Passport application...

Here is the application -
Domenick, wife Concetta and children living on Neptune Rd in East Boston, MA
Gives info about father Vito Caprio who was also living on Neptune Rd at the time of the application.
Gives immigration information for Donato/Domenick. Says he and his father first arrived in US in February 1892.
BONUS - also gives a picture of Donato/Domenick, Concetta and the family on the second page!

Page 1 - right side

Page 2 - left side (photo at bottom)

T.

nckarter

Postby nckarter » 24 Jun 2011, 01:03

Thank you very much for this information.

nckarter

Postby nckarter » 24 Jun 2011, 01:21

Is there any way to find the marriage record for Donato and Concetta in Italy and for his father Vito?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 24 Jun 2011, 03:14

nckarter wrote:Is there any way to find the marriage record for Donato and Concetta in Italy and for his father Vito?

It would seem from records that Donato and Vito Caprio were born in Taurasi, Italy.
Therefore you can write directly to the comune (town) for their birth records. I haven't had any luck finding any records online...

You can also request a marriage record for Donato. The marriage was probably performed in the town of the bride. If Concetta was also from Taurasi that makes it easy.

Write your request in Italian and mail to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via del Convento, 1
83030 Taurasi (AV)
ITALY

Help with letters in Italian
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

Send no money unless/until you are asked to do so. These records are generally free.
As a courtesy you can send a self-addressed UNSTAMPED envelope.

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”