Surname - BERTI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rysmom

Surname - BERTI

Postby rysmom » 23 Sep 2004, 15:16

I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

My great grandfather, Celeste Henry Berti (changed to Berty at Ellis Island) was born in Tres, Austria on 6 August 1876 to Sebastian and Elizabeth Berti. He came to the US 6 April 1896 and settled in Falls Creek, PA.

I have not been able to find out much more than this. If anyone can help please let me know.

Thank you! :D
pam

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Surname - BERTI

Postby ptimber » 23 Sep 2004, 16:10

He is listed in the www.ellisisland.org website and was born in 1877 arriving in NYC in 1896 from Dres, Austria as you indicated. Just what information or documents are you seeking?? Peter

Depero

Postby Depero » 30 Apr 2009, 22:37

Hi Rysmom,

my name is Emanuele Depero, I'm Italian and I live in New York city.
My mother's last name was Berti and during some research on her family I found your post. My mother's family came from Banco, a village near Tres, but I don't think we are related, or at least not closely but .... I know relatives of Albino Berti, that I think was Celeste's brother, living in Tres.

Actually there are two daughters of Albino still alive, they were born in Pennsylvania and they are in their nineties. There is also the family of one of them (a son, grandchildren and great grandchildren), all living in Tres . Albino and his family went back to Italy around 1920 and he died soon after. If you are interested to know more or to get in touch with them, please, let me know.

Greetings

Emanuele

ylacha

Postby ylacha » 03 Jun 2009, 12:59

Hi! I m also looking for my Berti ancestors. I have found that there were many Bertis at the Island of Elba, off the coast of Tuscany, Italy, and from what I have researched, many of them migrated at the beginning of the 1800s, that might be the case of your relatives, mine came to South America. Do you know the lastnames of the parents of your Bertis? That could help determine what region of Italy they migrated from.

Depero

Postby Depero » 20 Jul 2009, 23:27

Hi! Sorry for taking so long to answer.

Berti is a very common surname in Italy, so it is very difficult to track somebody unless you have more specific information.

This site will give you an idea on how many Berti live currently in Italy and how they are distributed: http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Jul 2009, 23:58

Not so long in answering since the intial inquiry about Berti started in 2004, was answered in 2004 and someone answered in 2009 and picked up by you...maybe its the longest going inquiry we ever had? =Peter=
~Peter~

ylacha

Postby ylacha » 21 Jul 2009, 02:23

Hi! Thank you for answering. I know for a fact my Berti ancestors came from the Island of Elba. Someone told me I might find information at the Catherdral in the Island, but I dont know how to contact them.

Depero

Postby Depero » 21 Jul 2009, 02:51

I'm quoting from the site of the Italian Ambassy in US (http://www.usembassy.it/acs/records.asp) :

"Under Italian law, records of births, marriages, and deaths are maintained by the Registrar of Vital Statistics (Ufficio dello Stato Civile) in the city (comune or municipio) where the event occurred. There is no central, regional, or provincial office established which keeps such records. When applying for one of these certificates, the applicant must supply all relevant information. The office of the registrar cannot undertake extensive research of its files to locate a record which is not properly identified, and will not translate requests in a foreign language. A request written in Italian usually produces faster results.

A small fee is charged for the issuance of a certificate, varying from place to place. Although it is customary for Italian city offices to waive the small administrative fees for foreign applicants, their budget does not allow for expenditures of funds to cover their services and postal charges. It is recommended that international postal reply coupons be included with any request for services.

To request:

BIRTH CERTIFICATE (Certificato di Nascita), provide full name of person at birth, place and date of birth, name of parents; specify that the document should include the name of the parents.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (Certificato di Matrimonio), provide full names at birth of both parties, their birthdates, place and date of marriage.

DEATH CERTIFICATE (Certificato di Morte), provide full name at birth of deceased, date and place of birth if available, place and date of death.

If your request is directed to a large city, address it as follows:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di ___________
Italy

whereas a request to a small town may simply be addressed:

Comune di ________________
Provincia di ________________
Italy"

In some areas records older than 100 years may have been kept by the parish. I don't know if this is the case for Elba island, but I doubt.

Do you know the name of the village your relatives were coming from?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Jul 2009, 03:12

Ylacha you can obtain documents relating to births,marriages,deaths, family status certificates, census information in the city,town or village of origin while military records are housed inthe provincial capital Archivio di Stato.

go to www.angelfire.com/0k3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html
for form letters addressed to the Uffico di Stato Civile in the city,town or village of origin.
There are no civil records in the Cattedrale.

If you know the town of origin for your family on the Island of Elba go to www.nonsolocap.it. Type in the townname on the top and click CERCA. When the next page appears showing the zip code, town name,province initials and reglion click on the town name and a website will come up. Scroll the website down to where it says MUNICIPIO for the address to mail the form letters to the Ufficio di Stato Civile. =Peter=

The service is free of charge and wait from 4 to 8 weeks for delivery of the documents you request
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”