Response from Stato Civile - not sure how to pay

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Response from Stato Civile - not sure how to pay

Postby bnelson » 03 Jul 2011, 05:23

I recently received a response to a request that I had sent to the Stato Civile in Nola, Naples Italy. I asked for a marriage certificate, which they sent me along with unofficial birth records for both the bride and groom that identified their parents. I also stated in my letter that I would pay for the certificate and postage.

The response did not contain any information regarding how much to pay. Do they normally send a subsequent bill? Does anyone know what is typically charged for a certificate? They responded very quickly and gave me more than I asked for, so I want to pay. Plus, I would like to request other certificates in the future.

Can anyone tell me how this typically works?

Bill

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Response from Stato Civile - not sure how to pay

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Jul 2011, 13:25

It is rare for a comune to request payment for these documents. Under Italian law, the certificates themselves are free to foreigners although comuni are permitted to charge a small fee to cover mailing & postage costs. Since Napoli did not send a request for payment, it is clear that they do not expect it.

If you were dealing with a small comune, I would suggest following up with a thank you note or card and, as some have suggested, a €5 note (smallest available euro paper currency) advising the official to enjoy a morning cappuccino and pasta (in this usage, means "pastry") at your expense. In a larger comune, this can backfire; it will not likely reach the intended person and could even be viewed as an attempt to exert improper influence.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Response from Stato Civile - not sure how to pay

Postby bnelson » 05 Jul 2011, 01:37

Thank you very much, your response is very helpful.

Bill

Return to “Italian Genealogy”