Search for birth record?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Search for birth record?

Postby lilbees » 03 Jul 2011, 13:28

I have recently received a copy of a birth record for one of my family members who was born in Tunisia but the birth record was from Lercara Friddi for a daughter recorded a year after the birth. It seems that the births of the children born in Tunisia to Italian parents were sent for recording to that comune.

Lercara Friddi was the birth comune of the mother of these children. I have not been able to find the birth record in Tunisia or Lercara Friddi for the male children. Could they have been sent to the father's comune? If so, in making a request, would I just give the birth dates as I know them or give a range of years?

Thanks for any suggestions.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Search for birth record?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Jul 2011, 13:43

Technically, any Italian citizen was required to notify the nearest consulate of his marriage and the births of children in a timely manner; the consulate would then forward this information to the comune for registration. Not everyone did this, especially those who left Italy with no intention of returning and/or those whose children gained citizenship automatically at the place of birth - both of which apply to US immigrants. One reason not to register the births of male children was to avoid their later forced military service.

When you write to the comune, you should make it clear that the birth occurred in Tunisia so that a) the proper section of the registry can be searched (births not in the comune itself were recorded separately) and b) request a multi-year search because the record will appear in the registry for the year in which the birth was registered; this could be the same year as the actual birth up to several years later.

As an example, my birth is registered in my ancestral comune in 2008 - the year my citizenship was recognized - even though I was born (ahem...) many years earlier.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Search for birth record?

Postby lilbees » 03 Jul 2011, 13:54

Just so you know, receiving the records was quite a surprise. I had originally requested a search for a possible birth record a year or two ago on the chance there would have been another of the children born there before moving to Tunisia since the Prelature in Tunis could not locate the baptismal record for one of them.

Well, will give it a try for the boys, some of whom I do have baptismal records for.

Thank you again for your advise. I will also write to the father's comune just in case.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”