spelling of surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
richvegas2

spelling of surname

Postby richvegas2 » 04 Jul 2011, 20:30

My grandfather came to America with his wife and a two year old son from Cosenza, Italy around 1898. He had seven other children here in the USA of which my father was one. It seems that each of the offspring spelled there last name differently. I do not know why this was or how it started. All of my aunts and uncles are deceased. I am trying to find my grandfather’s birth or marriage certificate from Cosenza, Italy.
Is there someone that can tell me how to start this process?

Rich

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: spelling of surname

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jul 2011, 13:39

Would you mind sharing the surname with us?

Also, your grandfather's first name and approximate or exact date of birth.

Do you have any idea which comune (town/village/city) in Cosenza they came from?

You are lucky your ancestors came from the Cosenza area as there is a great deal of info available online, specifically at these two sites. They are similar and use the same database, but each site has some very helpful tools not found at the other:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do?action=RicercaAnagraficaAction

Neither site is highly intuitive; I would be happy to give you some pointers if you provide some basic info as requested above.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

richvegas2

Postby richvegas2 » 05 Jul 2011, 16:09

Thank You. My grandfather name was Carmine (Rizzo-Rettzo-Retzo-Rittzo-Ritzo)—this is my dilemma, which one is correct since all uncles and aunts used one of these spellings. My grandfather was married to Maria Anna Talerico around 1896 in Cosenza Italy. They had eight children the oldest one, Jerry Frino( Retzo?) came to America with his parents when he was two. All other children were born in America. The children were Jerry—Mariano(Harry)—Giuseppe(Joe)—Gisberto(Carmen,Chivert)—Quintino—Rosa—Carmella(Millie)—Francesco(Frank).
I have a poor copy of my Uncle Jerry's draft registration card in which he signed it as Jerry Retzo in 1917 and living at 953 West Coal St in Shenandoah, PA. County of Schuykill. The census records of 1920 and 1930 have the surname spelling as either Retzzo or Rettzo but this could be the spelling of the census taker.
So the only true proof of our correct surname spelling would be on my grandfather’s birth or marriage certificate. I do not know what date my grandfather was born but he died in winter of 1917 in Shenandoah, PA.

Hope you can be of some help and thank you again

Rich Ritzo

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jul 2011, 17:15

The correct spelling is more than likely Rizzo which would be pronounced something like err-EAT-so. The z or double-z sound is pronounced "ts" like in pizza (PEET-sa). The R needs to be rolled which gives it an errd sort of sound. Try listening to the Valentina and Paola voices at this site: http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

I will take a look at the Cosenza info and see what I can come up with. Do you have any idea at all as to when Carmine was born?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

richvegas2

Postby richvegas2 » 23 Jul 2011, 00:18

Thank you for that info johnnyonthespot. I just got back from a month visit of known and unknown relatives from NJ and the coal country of PA. Though my cousins are long gone it was exciting to talk to their offspring and now we are on Facebook. I only wish that I had been more astute when I visited Italy with my parents and saw their birthplace as a teenager. However, all I could think about was getting back to the states to attend Woodstock. If only we could turn back the pages of time!!
Thanks again--I also believe the spelling to be Rizzo

Rich Ritzo

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 23 Jul 2011, 14:27

The Rizzo name in Cosenza are found in the following places:

Pedivigliano
Cervicati
San Lorenzo Bellizzi
San Pietro In Amantea
Serra Pedace
Amantea
Spezzano Piccolo
Belvedere Marittimo
Terranova Da Sibari
Castrovillari
Fagnano Castello
Montalto Uffugo
San Basile
San Martino Di Finita
Scigliano
Spezzano Della Sila
Belmonte Calabro
Vallo Della Lucania
Carpanzano
Verbicaro
Cerzeto
Malvito
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Jul 2011, 17:41

Jerry: the first name, really it was Fiore (or Fiorino); here the family in 1900 census:
1900 United States Federal Census
about Fiore Ritzo Name: Fiore Ritzo
Home in 1900: Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
[Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania]
Birth Date: Feb 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1899
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's name: Carmen Ritzo
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's name: Mary Ritzo
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Carmen Ritzo 33 b. nov 1866
Mary Ritzo 33 b. oct 1866
Fiore Ritzo 2

I found a ship's manifest abt the arrival of Maria Talarico
( daughter of late Paolo) with son of Carmine Rizzo( Fiorentino Rizzo)lines 21-22

First Name: Carmine Fi...reno
Last Name: Rizzo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Scigliano
Date of Arrival: Oct 09, 1899
Age at Arrival: 9m Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Archimede
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0022

coming from Scigliano ( Cosenza province) in travel with Pasquale GUIDO cousin of Carmine, and all joining at Carmine Guido (?? maybe a error: Carmine Rizzo) in Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

now the big problem is: why the discrepances abt Fiore (Jerry)surname and Carmine on the ship's manifest...?? Most probably a error...

in Scigliano was this Carmine RIZZO births:

Rizzo Carmine M 15/05/1862
SCIGLIANO
Rizzo Carmine M 09/09/1867
SCIGLIANO
Rizzo Carmine M 19/05/1862
SCIGLIANO
Rizzo Carmine Alfonzo Maria M 02/10/1844
SCIGLIANO

second arrival of Carmine Rizzo:

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Rizzo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Scigliano
Date of Arrival: May 27, 1898
Age at Arrival: 32y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Alsatia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010

married, already in USA from 4 years

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010

I believe that this is a probable birth record of Carmine's wife:
Stato Civile, Comune di SCIGLIANO. Registro numero 1-PRE, atto numero 51 di pagina -
Maria Antonia Talarico nato/a il 10/08/1864

da Paolo Talarico, sarto e da Maria Giuseppa Chiodo

By ship's manifest the father was Paolo, and in effects this is a Maria Antonia( no Anna) Talarico born in Scigliano on 10 aug 1864 daughter of Paolo Talarico, tailor, and of Maria Giuseppa Chiodo

also it are another Maria daughter of another Paolo:

Stato Civile, Comune di SCIGLIANO. Registro numero 1-PRE, atto numero 59 di pagina -
Maria Carmela Talarico nato/a il 26/09/1864 ( 26 sep 1864)

da Paolo Talarico, bovaro e da Maria Rosa Mastrojanni

so it is a bit hard to say abt the right person....

however I believe that the 1900 census as a well the arrivals are corrects,
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

richvegas2

Postby richvegas2 » 08 Aug 2011, 00:27

Dear Suanj thank you for this info. How do I go about hiring your firm to get more info and copies of docs (such as birth-marriage-manifest) of my grandparents on both my father and mother side?

Thanks -- vegasrich2@aol.com 777vegasrich@gmail.com

Rich Ritzo

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 08 Aug 2011, 06:16

Hi Rich,
if you wish the certificates (births/marriage) of your ancestor, I advice you of to try the records by LDS microfilms ( in 1900 census both, Carmine and Maria seeming born in 1866, but by Cosenza archive I no found any records abt 1866; but the database of Cosenza archive maybe is no complete to 100% so before of anything better to try the right records):
"Registri dello stato civile di Scigliano (Cosenza), 1809-1910 Scigliano (Cosenza). Ufficio dello stato civile"
Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... cigliano++

you can start the search by Fiore birth act; after you can find the marriage act of Carmine and Maria; so you can know the parent's names, the spouse's ages) and also the birth acts.... that is necessary, because it are several people with same name, but knowing the parent's names you can be very sure that are your ancestor's records..

with the precise data it will be possible to request the certificates in Scigliano ...

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

epatrick33

Postby epatrick33 » 17 Nov 2011, 21:34

Buongiorno! My great grandfather, to the best of my knowledge, was born in Scigliano. Giuseppe and his wife Francesca came to the "Coal Regions" around 1911, first to Shenandoah and later to McAdoo/Kelayres. They spelled the name "Ritz" although it was "Rizzo" and had been misspelled on baptismal certificates with some variation. My guess is that they would be cousins. Any information would be great!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”