My last name..help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scuzzarella4

My last name..help

Post by scuzzarella4 »

My last name is Scuzzarella. I was wondering if someone could help me with the origin or meaning of the name. I know that it should be sicilian. My grandfather said it meant turtle, but I am not sure. Help please,
:roll:
J. Scuzzarella
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: My last name..help

Post by ptimber »

Tartaruga is the italian word for Turtle and while in local pasrlance the word Scuzzarella may mean turtle, it is just that local in origin. The surname use of the word Scuzzarella is equalkly local in origin with concentrations in the Agrigento - Sciacca area of Sicily. There are a total of 16 cities and towns with people who have that surname with several located in northern Italy possibly the result of migrations from Sicily to that area of Italy. Should you wish to locate Persons with that surname in Sicily go to www.paginebianche.it and insert the surname in the first line and Siclia int he third line and click CERCA. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes Peter: the "scuzzara (diminutive: scuzzarella)" is turtle in sicilian dialect ...regards, suanj
scuzzarella4

Post by scuzzarella4 »

Thank you so much for helping me! :D
J. Scuzzarella
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks Suanj I figured that it was local in origin( a sicilian dialect word)Peter