DeMarsico/Peraccia/Casamassa/Sabatino Families of Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mallory.l.jones

DeMarsico/Peraccia/Casamassa/Sabatino Families of Italy

Postby mallory.l.jones » 09 Jul 2011, 00:32

Hello,

I'm looking for information on great-grandfather, Michael DeMarsico, and his family. He was born in Pisticci, Matera, Basilicata, Italy in 1887 (possibly January 1, 1887). He died in New York on September 28, 1952. I believe his mother's name was Cateriena Peraccia. I do not know his father's name but would like to find out as well as the names of his siblings. He first arrived in America (specifically New York) on March 11, 1903 to join his uncle Giuseppe Peraccia, Cateriena's brother. I believe Michael visited his mother in Pisticci early 1908. It's possible that Cateriena had other brothers named Nicola and Rocco. According to a record I found for one of her brothers (if he is in fact her brother), her father was Francesco Percaccia and mother was Pasqualina Barone. I don't think Cateriena's parents came to America. Michael DeMarsico married Angelina Casamassa in Manhattan, NY on January 23, 1911. Angelina was born in Naples, Italy about 1888. Her father was Giuseppe Casamassa (born about 1862 in Italy, assuming Naples) and her mother was Antoniette or Antonia Sabatino (born in Italy between 1862-1868, assuming Naples). Giuseppe immigrated to America in early 1901 and then Antoinette followed with the kids in 1903. Everyone who immigrated to the US lived in New York.

I would like to obtain birth records, marriage records, death records and any of other documents I can find. I have read you can get free copies of civil records if you write to the town or commune where relatives were born/married/died. If this is true, can anyone provide addresses for Pisticci and Naples civil records offices or direct me to where I can find that info? I would really appreciate any help I can get. If you know of research websites or anything of the sort, please feel free to share. Thanks so much!

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DeMarsico/Peraccia/Casamassa/Sabatino Families of Italy

Postby ibeirish » 11 Jul 2011, 03:08

Here is a 1910 Census (No Image) on the familysearch.org website:

Name: Angelina C Casamassa
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Residence: Manhattan Ward 18, New York, New York
Marital Status: Single
Race : White
Immigration Year: 1904
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 139
Page Number: 6
Household Gender Age
Parent Joseph Casamassa M 49y
Parent Casamassa F 42y
Angelina C Casamassa F 22y
Fred C Casamassa M 21y
Dan C Casamassa M 20y
Joe Casamassa M 18y
Jennie Casamassa F 17y
Elviro Casamassa F 15y
Rocco Casamassa M 13y
Millie C Casamassa F 5y

https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... _591666412

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 11 Jul 2011, 03:15

Also here is a 1920 Census:

Name: Michael De Marsico
Residence: Queens, New York
Estimated Birth Year: 1887
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Race: White
Marital Status: Married
Film Number: 1821229
Digital Folder Number: 4442055
Image Number: 00600
Sheet Number: 11
Household Gender Age
Michael De Marsico M 33y
(Spouse)Angelina De Marsico F 32y
(Child) Joseph De Marsico M 7y
(Child) Catherine De Marsico F 6y
(Child) Antonette De Marsico F 5y

https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... _437316264

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 11 Jul 2011, 03:25

I'm not sure if you have viewed Michael's WW2 draft card, I found it on familysearch.org as well:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 7022_04917

There's also a back to the image, which gives you information about his height, weight, scars (if any), eye color, and hair color.

On here, his occupation was a merchant sailor, living at 23-38 33 Road, Queens NY, his sister-in-law was Mrs. Palazzo (includes address).

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 11 Jul 2011, 03:28

1930 Census:

Name: Michael De Marsico
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Queens (Districts 1-250), Queens, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Estimated Birth Year: 1887
Immigration Year: 1905
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Enumeration District Number: 29
Family Number: 129
Sheet Number and Letter: 5B
Line Number: 93
NARA Publication: T626, roll 1583
Film Number: 2341318
Digital Folder Number: 4639132
Image Number: 00247
Household Gender Age
Michael De Marsico M 43
(Spouse)Angelina De Marsico F 42
(Child) Joseph De Marsico M 18
(Child) Catherine De Marsico F 17
(Child) Antoinette De Marsico F 15
(Child) Dorothy De Marsico F 10
(Child) Alferia De Marsico F 7
(Father)Joseph Casamassa M 68

mallory.l.jones

Postby mallory.l.jones » 12 Jul 2011, 15:12

Thanks so much for all of this information! I have some of these records already but not all of them - so helpful! I found the draft registration card but had no idea about the back of it - what a surprise! The registration card appears to say merchant sailor but I think it actually says tailor...I do know that he was a tailor by trade. Thank you so much for your help, means so much to me!

Any idea on how I can find out Michael DeMarsico's father's name? I've searched through Italian records on FamilySearch and other websites but have had no luck. Or would you happen to know a good resource for finding the names of siblings? I'm sure he had some, I can't imagine him being an only child. My grandmother, his daughter, is still alive but has trouble remembering details from so long ago. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 12 Jul 2011, 16:00

Aw, no problem. I figured I'd help someone out while I wait for someone to answer some of my posts.

Have you been able to send a request for a copy of the marriage document from the NY Municipal Archives? My cousin did it to find a marriage license for our great-grandmother but it turns out the names were misspelled, so we'll be trying again soon. Here is how they spelt Michael's name on this website (if you click on the bride's name, there's Angelina):

DeMarsico, Miehele Jan. 23, 1911, Manhattan (Certificate #2177)

I found this on: http://www.germangenealogygroup.com/NYC ... &B1=Submit

There is a fee to obtain the marriage record, but it probably contains the names of Michael's parents. Here's the website:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

Also, do you know where Michael was buried in NY? I would suggest calling the cemetery, tell them who you are in relation to Michael, and ask them if they could give you the information. Now NY is very secure in keeping documents and vital records private so it may be hard, but you may be surprised. I'll keep searching if I find anything. Also definitely check out findagrave.com, and see if any of the family members are on there. You can request someone to find a grave for you, you just have to make an account (it's free).

Good Luck =)

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 12 Jul 2011, 16:16

Oh here is something you could use:

you can find Pisticci civil records going to FHL (mormons) and you can rent the microfilms

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... isticci+++

or you can write only in italian to Pisticci civil record office

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Piazza dei Caduti
75015 Pisticci (MT)
Italy

or you can write, only in italian, to Matera State Archive

http://www.basilicata.beniculturali.it/ ... ente=116&i

(here's the translated website: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... %3D116%26i)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”