GRECO / MARCIONE in San Giuseppe

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

GRECO / MARCIONE in San Giuseppe

Postby NavySWO91 » 11 Jul 2011, 22:20

I am researching Onofrio GRECO, b. 1879 married to Agata MARCHIONE, b. abt 1885. Marriage in Sicily prior to 1907. Onofrio arrived to NY in 1907, while Agata arrived to NY in 1911. By 1920 they settled in St Louis (census records).

Onofrio’s arrival record indicates place of origin as “S. Giuseppe” Sicily and that he intended to see his brother Giuseppe. I have drawn the conclusion that a Giuseppe GRECO living very near Onofrio (same block) in St. Louis is his brother. Given that connection Onofrio’s parents would be Gioachino GRECO and Rose CASABLANCA (according to Giuseppe’s death certificate; Onofrio’s certificate states father as ‘James’).

In 1911, Agata arrived to NY with her young son, Gioachinno, and her father Francesco MARCHIONE, both originating from “S. Giuseppe”. Birthplaces listed as “S. Giuseppe”. Francesco’s wife and Agata’s mother are both listed as “Concetta PROVENZANO”. Agata’s uncle Mariano Provenzano is also there.

In 1913, Concetta PROVENZANO arrives with her daughter Giovanna and an adopted child, Santi Criscianti. Concetta originates from “S. Giuseppe Jato” and is listed as going to see her husband Francesco Marchione in St. Louis. Francesco’s death certificate lists father as “Sam”, mother UNK. Concetta’s parents are listed as Giuseppe PROVENZANO and Giovannia CANCEME(?). Concetta’s birthplace appears to be “Chiusa Sclafani”.

If anyone has any information for these GRECO, MARCHIONE, CASABLANCA or PROVENZANO families or advice on how best I should proceed to delve deeper, I would really appreciate it.

Re: GRECO / MARCIONE in San Giuseppe

Postby Paolo47 » 19 Jul 2011, 15:13

Hello Jack,
The best clue to S. Giuseppe you mention is San Giuseppe Jato
If you are familiar with the Mormom's Family History Center,
you may be able to find some information with the help of
these records transcribed from San Giuseppe Jato.
Take the information to a FHC near you and rent the film containing
the records you want.

Chiusa Sclafani also has civil records, but not a lot of help since they
end abt 1860. There are church records however that might help.

Good luck,
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”