Death Certificate Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meyerott

Death Certificate Search

Postby meyerott » 15 Jul 2011, 19:51

I am looking for a death certificate or any other inforamtion for Stefano Giordano. We have been told he died in 1935. He is my great-great grandfather. Not sure what town he is from either. His children were born in Castrolibero, Italy.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Death Certificate Search

Postby Italysearcher » 15 Jul 2011, 22:49

Start with the kids birth records, they might tell you where he was born.
www.paginebianche.it is the Italian white pages. See if the surnames are common in Castrolibero.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Harleygrrl » 16 Jul 2011, 04:15

Hi Meyerott,
You know where his children were born - do you know when? Can you approximate when Stefano was born? Was he living in Italy when he died?

meyerott

Postby meyerott » 16 Jul 2011, 16:05

Harley girl,
His children were born from 1871 through 1883, all in Castrolibero. All of the birth certificates say father is unknown, mother is not married. Mother's name was Maria De Buono. All kids used the surname De Buono in Italy except the first used the surname Aiello and we don't know why. Once in the U.S., all kids changed surname to Giordano. Some of the kids deaths certificates say mother was Maria De Buono and father was Stefano Giordano. We can not find anything on a Stefano Giordano from any Cosenza area. Then through speaking with a distant relative they said they new him and he died in 1935. We assume he died in Italy. We are looking for anything about him or even their mother Maria De Buono. We can't find anything on either of them. Only other info on the kids birth certs is that Maria's father was Michele but we can't find anything on him either. We have hit a brick wall.

Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Harleygrrl » 16 Jul 2011, 17:30

Did the kids come to US as kids, with their mother? If so, Stefano Giordano could have been the mother's new partner - an "adoptive" father - once they reached the US?

meyerott

Postby meyerott » 16 Jul 2011, 21:19

The kids came to the U.S. as adults, some were married but we can't find the marriage records either. We have no idea if the father ever came over because we can not find any records of him other than his name on the kids passports. To our knowledge the mother did NOT come to the US, but we have no idea what happened to her. Also it is our understanding that he was not in their lives. Maybe he was married to someone else and had an affair with Maria? Then later tried to claim the boys which might explain the surname change. Problem is we can not find any records of him, whether married to someone else or not.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 17 Jul 2011, 07:55

In Italy, after 1870 or so towns were required to leave blank one of the names of the parents if the parents did not register their marriage in the civil registry of the town. It looks like they were married in the church before 1870, had their first child (surname Aiello), the rest woud have only the surname of the person who registered them (or just the mother if the midwife registered them). If Aiello died and she came to USA and remaried (or remarried in Italy) the kids still use the surname on their birth records (De Buono) Giordano could have been a stepfather and this may not have been known to the person registering the death in USA.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

meyerott

Postby meyerott » 18 Jul 2011, 17:54

Thanks for the info about 1870, we did not know that. Still trying to find out how I can locate the death certificate for Maria De Buono and Stefano Giordano. Maria had to have been born sometime in the 1850's and gave birth to kids starting in 1872 in the town of Castrolibero and her father's name was Michele. That is the only information we have on Maria. For Stefano only thing we know about him was that he died around 1935. I have searched on ancestry and can't find anything. Any ideas on where I can find this information?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”