Looking for some help on Italian names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
steinyj

Looking for some help on Italian names

Postby steinyj » 22 Jul 2011, 18:37

OK, I have been working my tail off trying to build a family tree but I am running into a wall and am looking for some advice. I use Ancestry.com which has been a huge help. On my mother's mother side of the family is just one of the branches where I am getting stumped. My great Grandfather is named Guiseppe Diorio. He was born in 11/27/1896 in Ischia, Napoli, Campania, Italy and died in San Pedro, California on 5/1/1974. He had a brother named Sebastian and a sister named Theresa who I have not been able to find too much info about as of yet.

His parents according to his marriage certificate were Antonio Diorio and Francesca DiMattanato who were also from Ischia, Napoli, Campania, Italy. However I do not have any birth dates, death dates, sibling information, nor who their parents were. I am quite certain that if I am to get information on these folks I am going to have to tap into Italian records. Suggestions on what to do from here. Oh one more thing. I have found variations of the spelling of Diorio. I have seen it Diiorio, D'orio, D'Iorio. Nice loop to throw at me.

Now, onto my great Grandmother's part of the family. Her name is Eva Veronica Dimilte. I should note that I have seen Dimilte spelled with a few variations as well. Seen it as Demilte, D'milte, Dimiltie. Eva was born Dec 3rd, 1901 in Spinosa, Potenza, Italy. She passed away in San Pedro on Sept 9th, 1963. She had 7 brothers and sisters which I was able to get from Ancestry.com and have been working the various lines from those brothers and sisters. Eva's parents were Guiseppe Dimilte born in 1863 in Potenza, Basilicata, Italy and her mother was Anna Esposito born in 1872 but not sure where. I would like to find out if Guiseppe Dimilte and Anna Esposito had any siblings as well as who their parents were. Again, I am getting into Italian records I believe and I am stumped where to go next.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Looking for some help on Italian names

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 09:16

OK, I have been working my tail off trying to build a family tree but I am running into a wall and am looking for some advice. I use Ancestry.com which has been a huge help. On my mother's mother side of the family is just one of the branches where I am getting stumped. My great Grandfather is named Guiseppe Diorio. He was born in 11/27/1896 in Ischia, Napoli, Campania, Italy and died in San Pedro, California on 5/1/1974. He had a brother named Sebastian and a sister named Theresa who I have not been able to find too much info about as of yet.

His parents according to his marriage certificate were Antonio Diorio and Francesca DiMattanato who were also from Ischia, Napoli, Campania, Italy. However I do not have any birth dates, death dates, sibling information, nor who their parents were. I am quite certain that if I am to get information on these folks I am going to have to tap into Italian records. Suggestions on what to do from here. Oh one more thing. I have found variations of the spelling of Diorio. I have seen it Diiorio, D'orio, D'Iorio. Nice loop to throw at me.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

the site Familysearch.org has on line (and free) the civil registration of Ischia, Forio d'Ischia and Barano d'Ischia I checked them for you and found your great-grandfather's birth act, who was born in the town of Barano d'Ischia, follow the link to see the original image:

Birth act number 166 - Year 1896

Di Iorio Giuseppe was born on the day 27 november 1896, he was the son of Antonio Di Iorio, age 30, sailor and of his wife Di Matteo Maria Francesca, farmer. Address of the birth Astiere street, without number.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 3D11078015

Laura

Birth act number

steinyj

Postby steinyj » 23 Jul 2011, 09:37

Wow, thank you for this information. I sort of knew this information because I was able to get just recently a scanned copy of my great grand fathers marriage certificate (from 1920) which had both the bride and grooms parents names on it. What baffles me is Di Matteo Maria Francesca. On the marriage certificate from New York, it shows her name as (not her writing) as Francesca DiMattanato. I am in agreement that the document you found is right, I just do not understand the name differences. Thank you so very much for finding this. I sure hope some more can be discovered.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 10:06

Here is the 1894 marriage act between Antuono Di Iorio and Maria Francesca Di Massa (I apologize because I read wronlgy the lastname on the birth act)

Marriage Act number 29 - Year 1894

Groom: Antuono Di Iorio, age 28, sailor, born and resident in Barano, son of the living Giuseppe, resident in Barano and of the living Francesca Vuoso? resident in barano

Bride: Maria Francesca Di Massa, age 22, farmer, born and resident in Barano, daughter of the living Raffaele, resident in Barano and of the living Chiara Vuoso, resident in Barano.

Marriage date: 27 december 1894

image here:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... 3D11075683

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 10:29

Don't know if you already have, from the site Ancestry.com the WW" Draft registration Card for Giuseppe:

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Jiuseppe Ditorio
Name: Jiuseppe Ditorio
Birth Date: 27 Nov 1896
Birth Place: Barano, Italy
Residence: Brooklyn, New York
Race: White

image:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... id=2875975

Laura :D

steinyj

Postby steinyj » 23 Jul 2011, 12:06

Wow, thanks again. I am trying to figure out how you are searching for this stuff on that site and coming up with hits. I am trying all sorts of ways to search for it myself and get it to come up with no luck at all. Until I figure it out, I am very appreciative. Thank you, thank you.

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 23 Jul 2011, 14:31

Hello correct spelling is Di Iorio
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 14:50

Now, onto my great Grandmother's part of the family. Her name is Eva Veronica Dimilte. I should note that I have seen Dimilte spelled with a few variations as well. Seen it as Demilte, D'milte, Dimiltie. Eva was born Dec 3rd, 1901 in Spinosa, Potenza, Italy. She passed away in San Pedro on Sept 9th, 1963. She had 7 brothers and sisters which I was able to get from Ancestry.com and have been working the various lines from those brothers and sisters. Eva's parents were Guiseppe Dimilte born in 1863 in Potenza, Basilicata, Italy and her mother was Anna Esposito born in 1872 but not sure where. I would like to find out if Guiseppe Dimilte and Anna Esposito had any siblings as well as who their parents were.

Ancestry.com has online the civil registrations for towns in the province of Potenza...
Records are not indexed, you have to search "manually" using the birth/marriage/death dates you have, using also the 10years index...

Birth act number 57 - Year 1901

Di Milta Eva Veronica was born in Spinoso on the day 4 december 1901. She was the daughter of Giuseppe age 38, proprietor and of his wife Esposta Anna.

link to the act's image of Ancestry.com (if you have the World subscription)

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/View. ... ta.1901.20

If you don't have the world subscription please tell me, I can post the image for you.

Laura

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Jul 2011, 14:52

One can get a good idea as to the validity of any given spelling by searching the Italian telephone directory http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&l=en&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=di+iorio&dv= and/or this useful site, http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=DI%20IORIO.

As expected, it appears that "Di Iorio" is the most common variant, Diorio exists in small numbers, as does D'Iorio and even D'Orio. De Iorio is out there in the field also.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 15:21

Just in the doubt that you don't have:

13 september 1909

Arrival manifest in nYC for Anna Esposta, age 37, female, married, coming from Spinoso (leaving none in Italy) going to NYC to join her husband Giuseppe Di Milta living on Sullivan street, travelling with her child Silvia, female age 16, Carmina, female, age 13, and Eva, age 8. Place of birth for them both is Spinoso.

Page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024

Regarding your great-grandfather there is no doubt the the correct lastname was Di Iorio, civil registration records are official documents...

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 15:31

Again, from Ancestry.com:

Marriage act number 2 - Year 1888

Groom: Di Milta Giuseppe, age 24, agricultur, born and resident in Spinoso, son of the living Vincenzo, resident in Spinoso and of the living Romano Silvia resident in Spinoso

Bride: Esposto Anna, age 16, seamstress, born and resident in Spinoso, daughter of the living Giuseppe, resident in Spinoso and of the living Mileo Carmina resident in Spinoso

Marriage date: 5 january 1888

image here:

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... gskw=&cr=1

Laura

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 23 Jul 2011, 15:39

Good findings Laura and Carmine.

Appologies for short reply earlier, i was on way out!

The 2 surnames in question, i believe are spelt:

Di Iorio

Di Milta

Jamie
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 23 Jul 2011, 15:41

Hang on! it keeps showing a L when it should be an i

Di iorio

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 23 Jul 2011, 15:49

Birth Act number 29 - Year 1872

Esposto Anna was born in Spinoso (Cavour Street) on the day 3 april 1872, daughter of Giuseppe Esposto, son of the living Pasquale, age 43, farmer living in Spinoso and of his wife Carmina Mileo daughter of the living Matteo??

image:
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... gskw=&cr=1

Laura

steinyj

Postby steinyj » 23 Jul 2011, 18:54

How can you read this last document. I saved it to the computer and tried to zoom in and it only got worse. Thanks again. I have been trying to duplicate some of your searches with no luck and not sure how you found some of this stuff. But I am amazed and very thankful. Where do I make a donation?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”