I swear I have the worst luck

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

I swear I have the worst luck

Postby rancelli » 25 Jul 2011, 22:23

I was able to track down a death certificate. No maiden name listed of the deceased, no specific town in Italy, nothing. It has the burial site listed but when I called the cemetery, the woman told me that my ancestor was not in the records. :x So I guess that ends my search. I don't know where else to look for the burial record. I called the St. Vitus church and they told me the cemetery had all the records. The death happened in 1915 and she was 36 at the time.

What is your opinion on what I do have? In one of the Ellis Island records that I found it was for Francesco Buccella going to Wampum PA with wife Angela Rosa Mastroberti and son Domenic. The obituary that I have the last name for Rosie was Masterbuck. Well I assume Masterbuck because it lists her brothers Peter and Dominic Masterbuck. Very strange that the parents weren't mentioned in the obit. Maybe they were already dead?? Who knows...Obviously the name was spelled wrong because on the death certificate it says she was born in Italy. I don't think Masterbuck would be an Italian name. The obituary says she died in Wampum, PA. The town of Wampum even today is only about 678 people. Yes very backwards. I doubt that there were two families, BuccellA and Buccelli. Buccella does not exist in the town of Wampum or surrounding areas. I'm just trying to get your opinion whether or not you think these are the same people. My moms side which is Buccelli changed their last name to Butchelle. I believe Buccella was the original spelling in Italy but changed to Buccelli in the US. My uncle would go by Frank Butchelle and then Butchelli.

Here is Rosies death certificate. Can someone make out the undertaker?

http://postimage.org/image/13hwddw04/

Rosie's obit

http://postimage.org/image/1vnjyv10k/

Vitea was probably Victor, Maye was probably Marian. You'll see the name Dominic. Angela Rosa Mastroberti and Francesco had a son Dominic. Clara we know nothing about. I believe she died sometime between 1915-1920. She is not listed in the 1920 census. I wonder how I can find out whatever happened to her?? I wish I had an exact date of when she died, because she might be buried next to her mother. Frank is buried in Ohio. No one in the family knows anything about Franks wife. Poor woman

Ellis Manifest for 1903

Angela Rosa Mastroberti. I understand they did not sail that year, or at least that's what I was told. I can't find any other ship records for Angela Rosa Mastroberti and son Domenic for the years 1905-1906. I know Francesco or Frank came over in 1905 by himself to join his brother in Hillsville, PA

http://postimage.org/image/13mcsijwk/

The age for Rosie Butchelle on her death certificate matches Angela Rosa Mastorberti's approx age of birth. Angela according to the manifest was 24 years old in 1903. Rosie Butchelle would have also been 24 in 1903. LOL You understand what I mean?? So do you guys think these are the same people, Rosie Butchelle and Angela Rosa Mastroberti? How and the heck do I even track down ship records for 1905-1906 if they can't be found online?

emlowe

Re: I swear I have the worst luck

Postby emlowe » 25 Jul 2011, 23:06

I think it says Dunn Undertaker Co - New Castle.

If so, this may interest you:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/dunn-buff ... /083979799

rancelli
Elite
Elite

Postby rancelli » 26 Jul 2011, 04:59

That's very nice of you to post that link. New Castle, PA has a very good genealogy dept. and I think those books can be found there. I will probably head out there sometime this week and see what I can find. You're right now that I think about it, the name definitely looks like Dunn.

coccodidiano

Postby coccodidiano » 13 Aug 2011, 17:19

Hi,

I had googled another name and found this site thanks to your post.

I googled Dunn & Company and found that is was Dunn and Rice Company in New Castle, which is where I grew up. I also found this link to a book that transcribed Funeral Home Records during the time you're looking at - don't know if it would have any more info than you already found, though, and they want $35.00 http://stores.homestead.com/mechlingboo ... Detail.bok

My mom was born and raised in Wampum - yes, it was small, but everyone knew everybody and looked out for each other. MANY ITALIANS! My uncle is the only family member living on my mom's side - I'll ask if he remembers the Buccelli's - I remember that name and also Mastroberti. I'll also ask my Dad since he and my mom lived in Wampum for a short time after they married.

The Hospital may have been in Ellwood City - it was Mary Evans Hospital, which is now a long-term care facility, but I believe the hospital is now just called the Ellwood City Hospital. It was the closest Hospital to Wampum. The main Hospital in New Castle at the time was St. Francis. The other hospital in New Castle is Jameson, but I'm not sure if it was there in the 1900's.

Also, I looked at the ship record and Pertosa is next to Anna's name - it is a village in Italy - did you look at that already? And, yes, she is most likely Rosie. We always knew my grandmother as Mary or Maria only to find out in my search that her given name was Antonietta Marianna! (Even on her marriage license, it says Maria.)

Did you get the death certificate from the Lawrence County Vital Statistics? If not, they can usually find info for you - it used to be $10 per Certificate and sometimes they'll give you additional info if they find any.

The New Castle Public Library is also a great place for genealogy records. (make sure it's the New Castle in Lawrence County - there are 3 cities named New Castle in PA)

As for St Vitus and the other Catholic churches in New Castle, they have never been great at giving out info.

I'll get back to you one way or the other. Thanks for helping me find this site!

Kathi

coccodidiano

Postby coccodidiano » 01 Sep 2011, 06:39

Hi, Rancelli,

I found this tonight when looking up my family... Listed as Berti Angela Mastro Ship Record. Maybe you already saw it, but it seems too coincidental even though it says she was meeting her husband, Buccelli, in New York - the 2 children match names you mentioned.

It won't let me upload the image - it's under Mastro, Berti Angela, arrived August 16, 1906, S.S. Sicilia.

Also, I found a copy of an old school picture in one of my family picture albums and my Mom had listed all of the names below it - there's a Carmen and an Antoinette Buccelli - class of 1939 - 1940, Chewton School. Picture isn't very good since it's a copy, but I can try to scan it if you're interested. My Uncle also has a class picture with a Buccelli from around 1938 - he just remembers that they called him "Butch" and it was second grade for him.

That's it for now.

Kathi

Return to “Italian Genealogy”