Could anyone translate??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Could anyone translate??

Postby ibeirish » 26 Jul 2011, 01:53

Hi!!! Could anyone help me in translating this document?? I figured out that it was a birth certificate for Anthony Sabarese, but I can't make out the handwriting as well as the Italian language. If anyone can help that would be great!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/sabaresebirth.jpg/

Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Could anyone translate??

Postby Harleygrrl » 26 Jul 2011, 04:08

Normally I can read Italian but I can't read this! I couldn't even make out the name Sabarese! It's a lovely clear copy but unfortunately the place it's posted only allows one zoom and I need to zoom closer than that. Sorry; I hope someone can help.

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 26 Jul 2011, 13:37

When you have clicked 'Zoom' once, right click, save to desktop and open from desktop.

You can then view normal size!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 26 Jul 2011, 15:10

I only see Carmine Latriano, Antonio Labarise and Maria Marturano.
No Anthony Sabarese.
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 26 Jul 2011, 15:29

Can you leave the paste the page from ancestry.com that you found the birth act

Thank You
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 26 Jul 2011, 16:21

I only see Carmine Latriano, Antonio Labarise and Maria Marturano.

My mistake. I found a WW1 record for Anthony and it is Sabarese from Tito.
I think you knew that :D
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Jul 2011, 16:32

I agree that this is a poorly written record...

Here's what I can see - :-)

Dated 11 September 1883 at 8:35 AM at the town hall in Tito
Appeared Fortunata Priarana(sp?), age 60, midwife, to declare that at
9:23 PM on the 10th of September at the house on Via Fontanella, to Maria Buono(?), housewife, widow of ????ino Sabarese, stone mason, (looks like he was born in Comune of Campagna), was born a male child who she presented to the official and to whom was given the name Antonio (can't quite get the middle name)

Witnesses to this declaration were Antonio Potenza, 30, shoemaker; and Pasquale ????, 40, landowner.

The declarant (midwife) made the presentation in the place of the husband of Buono because he is deceased.

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 26 Jul 2011, 17:06

Tessa78 wrote:I agree that this is a poorly written record...

9:23 PM on the 10th of September at the house on Via Fontanella, to Maria Buono(?), housewife, widow of ????ino Sabarese, stone mason, (looks like he was born in Comune of Campagna), was born a male child who she presented to the official and to whom was given the name Antonio (can't quite get the middle name)

Witnesses to this declaration were Antonio Potenza, 30, shoemaker; and Pasquale ????, 40, landowner.

The declarant (midwife) made the presentation in the place of the husband of Buono because he is deceased.

T.

Could possible be Maria Auria and Fortunata Priano

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Jul 2011, 17:12

Hi Marty,

I thought of "Priana" as well, but then it seemed there were too many letters :?
"Picaroni" is found in Tito...maybe that's the name.

It should also be mentioned that the age could be 60 or 70 - hard to tell if it's "sessanta" or "settanta" - I'm thinking now it's 70.

As for Maria's surname... it is very clear in the written part of the record at the bottom. BUONO... :-) (Which is a common name in Tito)

T.

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 26 Jul 2011, 21:56

Tessa78 wrote:I agree that this is a poorly written record...

T.

Thank you so much T. for looking at this. I'm sure this is what it probably says. That's sad that Antonio's father, Gesummino, died before he was born. I wish I knew how Gesummino died.

Here's another document if you could please look at it. Someone sent these documents to me from this website. It's a marriage certificate for Maria Buono and Gesummino Sabarese, as well as a marriage bann? (not quite sure what that means)

Marriage of Gesummino and Maria:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/sabaresemarriage.jpg/

Marriage bann of Gesummino and Maria:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/146/sabaresebann.jpg/

Thank you guys for helping me out on this!!! :D

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 27 Jul 2011, 01:37

First, let me say that the banns were a publication of the intention to marry (that a contract to marry has been made). It was required to be posted 3 times on the door of the town hall in both the hometown of the bride (Tito) and the groom (Campagna) three times, the first two times usually on a Sunday. It was posted to be sure there was no one who had objection to the marriage.

Gesummino and Maria's banns were posted on 3 September 1882 (a Sunday), then on 10 September, and again on 14 September. This can be seen in the right column of the Pubblicazione....

The same basic information is found in both the Publication and the Marriage Act...

Publication #38
Dated 29 August 1882 at 10:05 AM at the town hall in Tito
appeared Gesummino Antonio Pietro Sabarese, 20, residing in Tito, a stone mason; son of Michele, 54, stone mason residing in Campagna; and son of deceased Eggiaca/Eggina (not sure of this first name spelling) Riviello, seamstress, residing during life in Campagna.
AND
Maria Carmela Buono, 19, seamstress, residing in Tito, daughter of deceased Geremia, blacksmith, residing in this town in life; and daughter of Maddalena Giugio, seamstress, residing in this town.
Witnesses to this act:
Cono Cal???ccia, 46, laborer
Giovanni Stigliano, 40, peasant farmer

The Act of Marriage #36

Dated 23 September 1882 at 10:23 AM at the town hall in Tito
between Gesummino Antonio Pietro Sabarese, 20, stone mason; son of Michele residing in Campagna; and of deceased Eggiaca (SP?) Riviello who resided in Campagna
AND
Maria Carmela Buono, 20, seamstress residing in Tito; daughter of deceased Geremia who lived here in his life; and of Maddalena Giugio, residing in Tito.
Witnesses:
Matteo Padula, 50, peddler
Raffaele D'Anzi, 70, carpenter

The writing at the bottom of the banns indicates the documents that needed to be filed with the banns including: birth record of each of the spouses, the death record of the groom's mother; the death record of the bride's father.

At the bottom of the marriage record is indicated that the banns were published according to the law, and the necessary documents (mentioned in the banns) were received, and that the consent of the groom's father, and the bride's mother was given.

T.

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 27 Jul 2011, 03:29

WOW!!!! I honestly never heard of this before. It's really fascinating, thank you for translating those for me. It makes sense now, knowing what those documents say.

All I gotta do now is try and figure out when Maria Buono died. I know she shows up in the 1930 Census, along with her children (I believe her second husband Gerardo died 3 years prior to the Census). Any way I can do that?

I'd also would like to find out some information on one of her children, Madeline "Adeline" Falci. She married a Dominick Grande (don't know anything about him, other than he only spoke Italian, but would love to know more about them) but I don't know when they married. I do know that they married in New York City, and they had to been married prior to 1930, since they're living together with 2 children already at that point. Any help on that, it would be awesome!!

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 27 Jul 2011, 03:48

Oh and can anyone find out the cause of death for Gesummino Antonio Pietro Sabarese? I know he died before his son, Antonio, was born in 1883. Thanks!!! :D

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 27 Jul 2011, 12:47

Here is a possible marriage record for Dominick and Adele..
Grande Dominick Aug 18 1921 Queens 2707 G653
Falce Adele Aug 18 1921 Queens 2707 F420

from the web site
http://www.italiangen.org

Paul

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 27 Jul 2011, 16:24

ibeirish wrote:Oh and can anyone find out the cause of death for Gesummino Antonio Pietro Sabarese? I know he died before his son, Antonio, was born in 1883. Thanks!!! :D

Unfortunately, Italian death records do not usually contain a cause of death. :(

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”