venturo family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
robcollier

venturo family

Postby robcollier » 28 Jul 2011, 10:47

Can anyone help I am trying to trace my great grandfather Nicola/Nicolas Venturo,I am told he came from Napoli but have had no success in tracing his origins,I have papers that show he was a seaman on ships going between England and New York,he eventually came to New Zealand we think he entered New Zealand illeagally as ther are no immagration records of his arrival.I have a letter witten in 1876 by his nephew Michele refering to his father Giuseppe as Ncola's brother and telling my grandfather he was a sailor on a ship called Maria Clotilde heading for New York with a load of grain.
I would be most gratefull for any leads that I could follow.
robcol

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: venturo family

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jul 2011, 21:17

Do you have an approximate year of birth for Nicola?

Year of arrival in New Zealand?

Did he marry in Italy? In New Zealand?

What was his wife's name?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jul 2011, 21:24

Also, keep in mind that the surname Ventura (with an "a") is about a thousand times more common that Venturo. Okay... maybe 100 times more common.

Anyway, be careful when searching as either name may be possible.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Bettina25

Postby Bettina25 » 22 Nov 2011, 02:16

Hi.

I may not be able to shed too much light on your quest to find where your relative came from in Italy, but if I were you, I would concentrate on Venturo and not Ventura. I am a Venturo. I looked on the internet and found these interesting websites for you:

http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognom ... ni/VENTURO

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera. ... me=VENTURO

http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognom ... O/CAMPANIA

As you can see from these websites, Venturos are associated with specific areas of Italy, most usually with Puglia, and that's the area where my grandfather and his family come from--Foggia and Bari. But I see that there are Venturos in the area of Napoli too.

I think I may have been in touch with you before. You may have sent a letter to my brother in New Jersey. We have relatives in NZ too, but they came to NZ from the Northern Irish side of the family.

robcollier

Postby robcollier » 05 Dec 2011, 09:17

Caio Bettina, Thanks for your reply I do think I have been in contact with you before,however it is good to hear from you,since we last had contact I have had contact with some Venturos in Napoli and have been there and seen them,I visited the city archives but was il prepared with a lack of relevant information and could not conclusivly make a conection, I will however continue looking and trying. Thanks again.
Rob. Collier

gjmorris

Postby gjmorris » 18 Jul 2015, 10:53

Hi Rob,
I stumbled across your 2011 post whilst doing a Google search and I'm not even sure you'll still get this message. I'll give it a shot anyway!
Nicola Venturo (Nicholas Vendore) was my Great Great Grandfather and I too would be keen to learn more about him. Frances Marie Vendore, his daughter, was my Great Grandmother.
I've also not come up with much when searching but will keep plodding away at it. If you do get this, I;d be keen to swap notes.

Regards,

Grant

Return to “Italian Genealogy”