Finding long, lost relatives in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italian059
Veteran
Veteran

Finding long, lost relatives in Italy

Postby italian059 » 28 Jul 2011, 18:12

I was just wondering if anyone has tried writing to a random person on Facebook with the same surname and city you are researching in Italy and if you have gotten any kind of positive results from that?

I found some people on Facebook, but am hesitant to write to them. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

dizneed

Re: Finding long, lost relatives in Italy

Postby dizneed » 28 Jul 2011, 18:30

Yes I did about a year ago. Her name is Crystal Gioiella. Same surname of my mom. She never returned an answer.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jul 2011, 18:37

I have contacted people who I thought might be relatives - mostly distant cousins - with some success. All four of my grandparents came from Italy in the 1910-1920 era, from Roccasecca (about an hour southeast of Rome) and from Malvito (4 hours southeast of Naples).

What I have found is that the language barrier is, of course, a problem. I have also found that there seems to be little interest on the Italian side to expand on these relationships. Maybe it is just my family, but I have not been able to get much farther than, "oh yes, we must be related..."

By the way, besides Facebook, you might also try searching the Italian telephone directory http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html and then writing formal (and professionally translated) letters.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Jul 2011, 18:38

I'm sure there have been contacts made through Facebook...and some successful!

You might also try the Italian Phone Book (only landlines) to locate potential relatives...
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Put Surname in "chi/cosa" and town in "dove"

T.

OOPS - Hi Carmine... we posted at the same time :-) !

italian059
Veteran
Veteran

Postby italian059 » 28 Jul 2011, 19:24

Thanks for the info. I realize the language barrier will be a struggle. I have looked up the Italian phone book. There are many people there with the surnames I am researching. I am sure some of them have to be relatives. I wish they had the same interest in genealogy that we do.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 28 Jul 2011, 20:32

Many Italians do have an interest in geneaogy but they tend to be the ones with a higher education and a smaller family. Most emigrants were from HUGE families and those left here have more cousins than they care to count right here in town. Don't forget there was another wave of emigration after WW2 and those emigrants did keep in touch with family here. Most of you are from several generations in the past and really have very little to offer and can't even offer it in the language they are familiar with.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

charlotte

Postby charlotte » 29 Jul 2011, 01:18

Hi,
Just read your thread and thought I'd let you know that a few months ago I plucked up the courage to send letters to four Rebori's in Mezzanego whom I found in paginebianche directory. I did not hear anything until a month ago and two sent e-mails with info and another was kind enough to take the trouble to send me copies of the certficates, by post, from the church where my relatives were married and baptized which was incredible.I have now sent letters to my grandma's relatives(hopefully)Granelli's in Santa Maria del Taro so I now wait patiently.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 29 Jul 2011, 07:53

If they were Grandma's relatives they probably still remember her so you should get lucky.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

charlotte

Postby charlotte » 29 Jul 2011, 11:46

I hope so.
When I started out searching all I knew was that my grandfather came from Italy as was stated on the census but thanks to Laura and to the response to my letters I now can say that he came from Vignolo, Mezzanego,Genoa. I knew from being a child that my grandma came from Santa Maria del Taro thanks to asking my dad at the time.
Now I hope that I can find out more by writing to the Granelli's in Italy and hoping for a reply.

italian059
Veteran
Veteran

Postby italian059 » 29 Jul 2011, 13:59

Thanks so much, Charlotte, for the info. What exactly did you say in your letters to Italy? I found some form letters online. Did you use those? I think I will try that. It can't hurt.

charlotte

Postby charlotte » 30 Jul 2011, 23:39

I looked at the form letters online and used sentences which I needed but mainly I composed the letter in English and then used a translation site online to make it more personal.
I gave the info of my grandfather which I already knew and simply asked for more! I also asked if they were a direct relative to me or part of another family of that name. I said I would be most grateful for anyone taking the time to reply to me. I made the mistake expecting an instant reply and thought at the time that no one would reply, but after a couple of months replies flooded in with wonderful info to which I then sent e-mails and letters of many thanks.
Hope this helps.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”