Anselmo/Fenoglio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Betty Heaton

Anselmo/Fenoglio Family

Post by Betty Heaton »

We have been enjoying the unexpected connection with our previously unknown Anselmo cousins. While we still have not been able to discover Lorenzo Anselmo's village of origin other than that "he came to the US from Torino", we have been able to combine family oral histories and sort out some confusion. My cousin Mary and I are still trying to find the origins of our great-grandfather Stanislao Fenoglio, known as "Henry". There are a few clues that arose around World War II and may involve researching some delicate history. Stanislao Fenoglio was born in about March of 1857, several years before the unification of Italy. He "went to the University in Turin" and was always referred to as Piemontese. On one document his son listed Grandpa Fenoglio's place of birth as "France" although all othe documentation indicates birth in Italy. My father once said Stanislao Fenoglio's mother might have been French. After WWII Stanislao's son began talking about property which might have changed hands after WWII. The only historical event I can find that this might refer to is the transfer of La Brigue and Tende after WWII to France. There was a "Charles Francois Fenoglio de Briga" involved in this transfer leading me to wonder if there might be some connection. I am assuming this would involve expanding the search into French sources; while I can stumble around in Italian, French is beyond me. Does anyone know how family records from that area might be accessed? It is probably wandering too far afield but still I wonder...Thank you for any suggestions...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Anselmo/Fenoglio Family

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Just wondering - - there is a "Family Tree" on ancestry.com for Lorenzo/Lawerence Anselmo owned by ancestry member PaulVernon22. Is that you?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Only slightly helpful, I know, but as you can see here, the Fenoglio surname today is concentrated in the Piemonte region of northwestern Italy: http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... e=FENOGLIO
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Betty Heaton

Post by Betty Heaton »

Yes, Great-grandpa Stanislao " Henry" Fenoglio was Piemontes and went to the University in Turin. We've looked for him mostly in the Piedmonte region although I have also searched the "chocolate" Fenoglios in Patagonia. The seach has been going on for decades without success; we have not been able to connect him to any Fenoglio family we have discovered in Italy which is why I am attempting to search the borders of Italy and France. LDS seems to have changed the names of many of the french Fenoglios to Fenouil although, since the Piedmonte region was french speaking back when Great-grandpa was born, this could have been the variant used.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... I have never given this much thought before, but I wonder if the University of Turin (or any other for that matter), would be willing to research old student records?

Can't hurt to ask, right? http://www.unito.it/unitoWAR/appmanager ... _nfpb=true
Carmine