some pix ive found in my research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

some pix ive found in my research

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Figured Id post some things Ive found in my search so far. Dont give up if your trying to do some amatuer geneology research.

The man is my great grandfather Sante Mattioli. The little boy with the tie is my fathers father Otto. There immigration papers say they are from Portomaggiore. It was taken sometime in Italy before the emmigrated to the new world. Sadly this is the only picture we have. My father being the youngest in his family never met the man and woman in this picture ( his grandparents ) and his father died when he was 7. So I have no idea what the other little boys name is or the woman.

Sidenote, if you took the mustache off Sante he looks exactly like me, and the woman looks EXACTLY like my fathers sister ( the womans grand daughter ). Weird how family resemblance can last throught 100 years.

Ill post some other things ive foudn as well.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: some pix ive found in my research

Post by PepinoMattioli »

this is just a dumb pic of me standing in front of the house that my Senerchias from Panni lived in when they first moved to America.

and I couldnt get a good picture of the certificate from Ellis Island but Ill type the text. This is a certificate from Ellis Island that was given to my grandmother in the Early 90s I believe for her parents.

The Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island Foundation Inc. Proudly presents this Official Certificate of Registration in THE AMERICAN IMMIGRANT WALL OF HONOR to officially certify that DONATO and GRAZIA NUCERA came to the United States of Amercia from Italy joining those courageous men and women who came to this country in search of personal freedom, economic oppurtunity and a future of hope for their families.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

The photo of the Mattioli's looks like it is in good shape. Really nice to see group shots like this. What kind of results did you get by doing a manifest search? If this group travelled together to Ellis Island, there's gotta be some information out there... it would be nice to figure out what your Great Grandmother's name was and who the youngest child was. When did they travel to the US? Your Grandfather Otto... was that his name at birth? Where did he pass away? I do agree about what you said about "not giving up"...
Victorlm

Post by Victorlm »

Here's a forum in Portomaggiore where you could post some questions: http://webtool.html.it/servizi2/forum/n ... umid=18997

Victor
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Pepino.....

Found a Santo Mattioli in PA in the census.......any chance this could be your ancestor? If not, where in the US did this family live? Maybe I can track them down in the census and help find out the other names.....

The Santo above had a wife whose name was strange and two sons......a son Anthony and a son Addo.....though Anthony was the older son. Let me know and I will see if I can find something for you!
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Essgeee HOW DID YOU FIND THAT!!!

Ive been looking all over the place in PA for ANY records at all and i cant find anything on Santo. Santo was what he put on everything in America. He emmigrated to Lackawanna St. in Lackawanna PA and stayed in the area his whole life ( and scranton pa ). I only know that cuz thats where my dad and his sister and brother Addo jr ( he spells it Otto ) grew up. I get lost alot cuz Sante used Sante and Santo, but everyone called him Santo. I dont know why. As well as my uncle ( addo jr ) and his father both using Otto and Addo on papers.

And I talked to my aunt and Anthony was the other brothers name, my info was wrong Addo was the little boy and Anthony was his older brother. ( the boy in the tie )

Id like to definitely get in touch with you and see how you got this info, and anything else or any help you have. The Mattioli part of my family is the hardest for me to get info from.

If you can please post any info on this post, or private message me, or email me dirtyjerztek@aol.com.

thank you
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Oh and victorim thanks for that forum, I wanted to wait till I got a bit more information on The Mattiolis before I Post there.

Also to anyone looking in, Ive just started Recently on the Mattioli side of my family, so my information is limited.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Bumppppppp!!!!!!!

Essgee if you see this please answer my questions above

grazie

Joe
sumner
Rookie
Rookie

Santo appears in 1930 Federal Census

Post by sumner »

Santo appears in the 1930 Federal Census. If you have a subscription to Ancestry.com you can go directly to the image. If you don't have a subscription, you can get access from your closest LDS family history center. And you don't have to be Mormon in case your wondering.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Essgeee HOW DID YOU FIND THAT!!!

Ive been looking all over the place in PA for ANY records at all and i cant find anything on Santo. Santo was what he put on everything in America. He emmigrated to Lackawanna St. in Lackawanna PA and stayed in the area his whole life ( and scranton pa ). I only know that cuz thats where my dad and his sister and brother Addo jr ( he spells it Otto ) grew up. I get lost alot cuz Sante used Sante and Santo, but everyone called him Santo. I dont know why. As well as my uncle ( addo jr ) and his father both using Otto and Addo on papers.

And I talked to my aunt and Anthony was the other brothers name, my info was wrong Addo was the little boy and Anthony was his older brother. ( the boy in the tie )

Id like to definitely get in touch with you and see how you got this info, and anything else or any help you have. The Mattioli part of my family is the hardest for me to get info from.

If you can please post any info on this post, or private message me, or email me dirtyjerztek@aol.com.

thank you

otto mattioli lived in old forge pennsylvania. he was a butcher most of his life. there are family members who still reside in old forge (a few miles from scranton).
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi.....Just saw your note...sorry for not looking sooner. I will write to you later today with the full census stuff....I am on my way out the door. Just hang in there!
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Essgeee HOW DID YOU FIND THAT!!!

thank you
below is the data that is posted in the 1930 census. at that time they lived on 1500 block of jackson street which is in the heart of hdye park/ west scranton. good luck
where do you live.

Santo Mattioli Scranton, Lackawanna, PA abt 1878 Italy White Head
Orgia Mattioli Scranton, Lackawanna, PA abt 1878 Wife
Anthony Mattioli Scranton, Lackawanna, PA abt 1908 Son
Addo Mattioli Scranton, Lackawanna, PA abt 1911 Son
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi.....

Here is what I could find:

1930 census of Scranton, Lackawanna, PA
ED 35-24, page 13 B. Living at 1521 Jackson Street
under the name Mattioli
Santo, age 52, married at 18, born Italy, arrived in US in 1906, Papers applied for, coal miner.
Orgia, age 52, married at 18, born Italy, arrived in US in 1908, Alien
Anthony, age 22, born PA.
Addo, age 19, born PA
Frank Millano, age 38, born Italy, boarder.

In the 1920 census of Scranton, Lackawanna, PA. ED 159, page 10B
Living at 214 Fairview ST.
Indexed under the name Mottollo
Sante, age 41, born Italy, arrived 1906
Argia, age 42, born Italy, arrived 1906
Anthony, age 12, born PA (Scranton listed and then crossed through...he was born in Scranton, but census only should list state, not town which is why it was crossed through)
Otto, age 9, born PA (Scranton, as above)
Charles Fazio, age 29, born Italy, boarder
Luigi Lozano, age 25, born Italy, boarder

Otto listed in Death index as born 10 May 1910, died July 1958

Sante Mattiolli arrived at Ellis Island on March 9, 1906 on the ship Napolitan Prince. He left from the Port of Genoa and listed as Pontamaggiori. He was on his way to Scranton, PA to meet a friend named Allesandro Capezzi at 914 West Lackawanna St.

Since we do not know the maiden name of Orgia or Argia...we cannot find her arrival.

However, another interesting point is on the arrival record of Sante, the numbers 3x-32046 (505) 4/22/40 appear. This means he was a naturalized citizen. The document # is 32046, the place given is district # 3...should be Pennsylvania...and the date of confirmation is April 22, 1940. You can find this paperwork along with his first papers...called the declaration of Intent. This will give you addional information...might include the names of his parents.

I could not find them in the 1910 census regardless of how I tried to spell the last name...and her name is so unusual, that I doubt that the spelling in either census is correct. You should attempt to get death records for both of them...cemetery records as well. These might give her maiden name.

The records of Pontomaggiore are not microfilmed at this point. You will have to write to the town to get copies of the birth extract...and ask for the extract not a birth certificate. If you ask for a certificate, you will get his name and date of birth...period. If you ask for the extract, you will get the parents name and sometimes more info. The postal code of Pontomaggiore is 44015.

If you can get a copy of Trafford Cole's book on "Italian Genealogical Records" do so. It will direct your search and tell you where to go to get copies of documentation you need.

Good Luck....if I can help further, please let me know......

And yes.......you do look like him!!!!
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Essegese thank you very much, Im not sure why...but when ever I looked in the death records or census I couldnt find any of this info. Im not sure if i just did something wrong, or if maybe you know better then me and found it easier ( which is likely ) Ill try and adress my questions in order of the info you posted.

I just had my father look at this and he confirmed the info, with things he remembers. As I said before my dad was the youngest and born in 51 and his father Otto died in 58 so he doesnt remember much, just what he was told. I did find Otto in the death index but not Sante or Orgia. I also found Anthony. Is there any way you can find out when Sante or Orgia died?

I already had the info about Sante arriving on the Neopolitan Prince from Genoa and came with Capezzi to W. lackawanna with Capezzis son.

How would I go about obtaining death and cemetary records. I have found a few sites, but Im not sure which is the best to use. Ultimately, I would like to get all the info I can before I start utilizing sending away for records, just so I can make sure I have the correct people.

And as for the Portomaggiore info, I am leaving any of my Italian research till I am finished with my US research.

thank you very much for all the help, I hope Im not asking too much, or bothering too much. As I said I am an ametuer at this.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

thank you as well juanminbir...sorry i was overwhelmed with information at the moment.