Looking for the town my g-grandmother was born in

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for the town my g-grandmother was born in

Postby italiangal36 » 06 Aug 2011, 19:24

I'm looking for the name of the town my Great Grandmother was born in. According to a ship manifest I found, I believe she is from the province of Messina.
Her name was Nunzia DeLuca (also Mary on some documents). Her parents were Benedetto DeLuca and Paola Donato. Any suggestions on how to track down the name of her birth commune?

italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for the town my g-grandmother was born in

Postby italiangal36 » 07 Aug 2011, 21:14

I had a great find...I found her naturalization certificate online. I emailed the US Archives office to get a copy of her application. I'm hoping this will have her birth commune on it. She was born in 1890.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Aug 2011, 22:22

I looked at the manifest in question. In manifests from this era, the last column normally shows the comune of birth, so there is good reason to believe that Messina in this case refers to the comune, not the province.

Thus, there is a very high likelyhood that your great-grandmother was born in Comune di Messina, Provincia di Messina, Regione di Sicilia.

The comune is the capital city of the province of the same name. See http://www.comune.messina.it/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Aug 2011, 00:45

PS: Now that I think of it, many people looking at manifests do not realize that they are often two pages wide and look only at the first page/sheet. Here is the full manifest; the birthplace is shown in the last column of sheet 2:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Nunzia Deluca
Name: Nunzia Deluca
Arrival Date: 3 Dec 1914
Birth Year: abt 1890
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: messina
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Madonna

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification

Sheet 1:

Sheet 2:

Are you certain this is the correct manifest? I see a few similar records arriving around the same timeframe:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Nunzia De Luca
Name: Nunzia De Luca
Arrival Date: 20 Jan 1915
Birth Year: abt 1889
Birth Location: Catania
Birth Location Other: cremestien
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Taormina

Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959 about Nunzia Deluca
Name: Nunzia Deluca
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Tremistick, Italy
Ethnic Background: Italian
Arrival Date: 23 Dec 1911
Port of Arrival: Providence, Rhode Island
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Madonna
Friend's Name: Antonia Duss
Last Residence: Italy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Postby italiangal36 » 08 Aug 2011, 08:44

Thanks Johnnyonthespot. Yes, I am certain this is one of the correct manifests. In the notes, she indicates she is visiting her mother-in-law in Roccamopalumba. Her mother-in-law's name matches as does the town her husband, my great grandfather, was from. She went back and forth from the US to Italy quite a few times to visit family so she shows up on a few manifests throughout the years. I should note, she lived in Boston most of her life. Here is the deal though. On my great grandfather's manifests and other documents, it shows he is from Palermo. I thought he was from the commune of Palermo until I couldn't find his name on the online Palermo birth records list. It wasn't until I found Nunzia's manifest and then confirmed it with his naturalization application that I found he was from Roccamopalumba in the province of Palermo. I am concerned this is the same deal with my great grandmother. Anyway, I'm really hoping her naturalization application will either confirm she is from the commune of Messina or show the correct commune. I'm very excited about this find. I wasn't sure if she had ever even naturalized until I found her certificate online.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”