Looking for Illinois Panepintos...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cptrios

Looking for Illinois Panepintos...

Postby cptrios » 07 Aug 2011, 22:06

Hi all,

I've got a real doozy of a situation. My grandfather, Carl J Panepinto, died in the Korean War in 1951 when my mother was all of 1 year old. Unfortunately she had very little contact with her father's family after that, and at this point in time we have literally no way of getting in touch with anybody. It's a serious shame on a lot of levels. On top of that, his military records were lost in the 1973 fire at the archives...so really, as far as my mother and I go, he doesn't exist bar a few pictures and a "regret to inform you" letter from Harry Truman.

So I'm trying to trace the family line back to Italy, both as a gift to my mother and, rather more selfishly, to see if I might qualify for Italian citizenship. I'd also absolutely love it if both she and I could reestablish contact with my grandfather's family and, one day, visit the place where my great-grandparents were born (most likely Palermo). The citizenship thing is probably a long shot, as I'd guess they naturalized, but I have high hopes for everything else.

Just about the only information I've been able to find, however, is one census record on Familysearch, giving the following information:

1930 Census, Joliet, Illinois
Father: Joseph (I imagine that's not the name he came here with!), born "Italy, 1889," immigrated 1912
Mother: Jenine (hers too!), born "Italy, 1901," immigrated 1909
Children:
Mary, 1917
Ignatius, 1919 (I'm pretty sure my mother refers to him as "Uncle Red")
Catherine, 1921
Carl, 1923
Russel, 1927

Carl, my grandfather, died on Halloween in 1951 when his plane went down over Okinawa. I know literally nothing else.

So if anyone can help, or knows anyone, or better yet knows a descendant of one of those siblings...I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks!

vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Illinois Panepintos...

Postby vj » 07 Aug 2011, 22:39

This may help in your search
From Find A Grave
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 97&df=all&
Your grandfather Carl's brother?
Valarie
Ignatius Panepinto

Birth: Dec. 16, 1918, USA
Death: Jan. 1, 2001, USA

Ignatius "Red" Panepinto
Age 82 years, passed away on Monday, January 1, 2001 at Provena St. Joseph's Medical Center.
Born in Joliet on December 16, 1918. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre. He retired from US Steel, moving to Florida, with his wife, Edith, and returning to live in Minooka 3 years ago. He was a member of the United Steelworkers of America Local 1445 and the VFW Post #4493 in Candler, FL. Red was an avid fisherman all of his life and he especially enjoyed fishing with his grandchildren. He enjoyed gardening, music, dancing, spending time with his grandchildren and good friends. Red was a hard worker all of his life and remained very active until his health prevented him from doing so.

Preceded in death by his parents, Andrew J. and Jenny (nee Catalano) Panepinto; a brother, Carl Panepinto; a sister, Mary Daniels; and two granddaughters, Amanda Rose Panepinto and Kirstie Lynn Panepinto.

He leaves behind his wife of 59 years, Edith (nee Cattaneo) Panepinto. As a devoted husband, Red lovingly cared for his wife the past 6 years, after Edith was diagnosed with Alzheimers. He is also survived by his two daughters, Sister Andre Panepinto SP of Wakefield, MA and Mary Kay (Paul) Scholtes of Yorkville, IL; two sons, Andy Panepinto of Johnson City, TN and Ignatius (Linda) Panepinto of Channahon, IL; ten grandchildren, Dawn (Chris) Root, Andy (Kim) Panepinto, Cathy (Joel) Laks, Missy Eartly, Larry Eartly, Peter Panepinto, Tony Panepinto, Bill Scholtes, Joe Scholtes and Kate Scholtes; nine great-grandchildren; two sisters, Kay (late Harold) Johnston and Rosalie (Jack) Grossich; a brother, Russell (late Ruth) Panepinto; a sister-in-law, Mary (late Jim) Furlong; numerous nieces, nephews and wonderful loving friends also survive. "Red will be greatly missed by his children, grandchildren, family and friends...He left a lasting impression with everyone he encountered."

Funeral services will be held from the Grant-Tapella-Freitag Westwood Memorial Chapel on Saturday, January 6, 2001 at 12:15 PM to St. Mary's Church, Minooka for a funeral mass at 1 PM. Private interment at Resurrection Cemetery. Visitation on Friday from 2-8 PM and Saturday morning from 11 AM to 12:15 PM. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Red's memory to the Diabetes Foundation or Alzheimers Research Foundation would be appreciated.
GRANT-TAPELLA-FREITAG
WESTWOOD MEMORIAL CHAPEL
Jefferson St. at Essington Rd.
815-725-0100

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Aug 2011, 23:27

Hey Valarie! Glad to see you back :-D

T.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 07 Aug 2011, 23:31

Hey T!
Thanks, taking a break from helping folks with their genealogy at our local Sr Center.
Valarie

cptrios

Postby cptrios » 07 Aug 2011, 23:45

Wow Valarie, thanks! I feel a bit stupid that I never thought to look at findagrave! That article definitely meshes with some other things I know about the family, so that is indeed him.

Thanks again!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2011, 00:01

Piggy-backing on Valarie's post :-)

If Ignatius/Ignazio (Red) was the first born... and
If Andrew/Andrea Giuseppe followed Italian naming traditions... :-)

This MIGHT be Andrea Giuseppe Panepinto's manifest from 1910 (if you haven't already seen this)

Arriving Sept 1910
Age 22 (DOB about 1888)
Sailed from port of Palermo
Leaving FATHER IGNAZIO PANEPINTO in "Bivona, Girgenti", Sicily
Going to a cousin in Denver CO

Line 25
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

Page 2

T.

cptrios

Postby cptrios » 08 Aug 2011, 04:39

Man...thanks a lot you two. A BIG mystery solved: what was my great-grandfather's actual first name! I'd only known Joseph before, which I assumed had been Giuseppe...I had never even heard the Andrea/Andrew part. Should open up some doors (including the manifests you so helpfully got for me, Tessa78. Thanks a lot again!

mkscholtes

Postby mkscholtes » 03 Feb 2012, 00:29

Hi ... I believe I can help you as your Grandfather Carl was my uncle ... His brother Ignatius "Red", the one whose obituary was sent to you, was my dad ... his father's name was in fact Andrew Joseph and they called him Joe ... Is your mother Sidra or Shawn? Is there some other way we can communicate besides on this public forum? My name is Mary Kay and here is my email address: *****@********.***

tsteres

Postby tsteres » 19 Aug 2012, 22:47

Hi! I'm Rosalie's granddaughter. Only Uncle Russell, Aunt Kay and Rosalie are still living. I'd be happy to connect you. Please feel free to message me and we can chat!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”