Help with Ancestry.com

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Ancestry.com

Postby acartia » 10 Aug 2011, 14:11

I have not as yet subscribed to Ancestry.com.but I am ready to join if the right records come available. I noticed awhile ago on their site, under "Coming Soon" mention of Toscana region civil records. Well I wrote them asking if they could tell me what parts of Toscana were coming and the approximate date, and I was keen to subscribe. I had a reply back in good time, but he said to write to another section that looked after that "Coming Soon" on their site, and he gave me the eMail address.(not sure why he could not just forward my mail onto the correct area anyhow?). Well that was over 5 weeks ago, and I have heard nothing back at all,even after writing 2 more mails to them. My question to anyone who is subscribed with Ancestry.com, maybe as a member you can check out on the site, and get more info on these records that are "Coming Soon"? whereas being a non member I cannot access most of the site, and there is no point joining until I can use some of the records. Any help or ideas would be most appreciated. John

RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with Ancestry.com

Postby RussoTiesi » 11 Aug 2011, 06:28

I don't have an Ancestry subscription, but my local public library does. It may be possible that your library does as well. The next time I go to the library, assuming your question has not yet been answered, I'll take a look for you (one caveat: I noticed once that the library version does not seem to offer all the records available to private subscribers).

Jim
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 12 Aug 2011, 02:50

Jim, thank you for your response. I had not thought about the local library, but did try them yesterday as you suggested, but they do not subscribe to Ancestry.I would appreciate when you do go to your local library again, just to make a very quick check, as you said you are willing to do for me.It should only be 5 minutes or so(don`t waste too much time on it!) to see if they have any more info on "Coming Soon" records.It may only have what I found on one of their open page`s....."Coming Soon". "Toscana Region, civil registration records." I will keep writing to them, but it just seems pointless when they cannot even respond to someone, after a number of eMails, who is ready to subscribe. If I have any luck or otherwise I will post back on here.I am sure we must have more than a few members who would be interested in this region anyhow from that period, ie 1860 something to maybe 1920 for the civil records, but of course for each of us, it depends on what cities, towns or whatever of the Toscana region that they will be putting on Ancestry. I appreciate your interest and kind offer Jim. John

RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby RussoTiesi » 18 Aug 2011, 00:41

John, I stopped at the library today and went on the Ancestry site. I couldn't find a "Coming Soon" section, but did find the info copied below. Is this what you are looking for? If so, let me know, and I'll send you more of the text about using the database.

Ancestry.com. Siena, Tuscany, Italy: Civil Registration Records, 1866-1937 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
Original data: Tribunale di Montepulciano, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1937. Civil records collected from various towns throughout the province of Siena, Tuscany, Italy.

About Siena, Tuscany, Italy: Civil Registration Records, 1866-1937
The keeping of vital records for the unified Kingdom of Italy started in 1866. In the southern part of the country, formerly under the Kingdom of The Two Sicilies, it started in 1809 with the exception of Sicily in 1820.

This database contains births, marriages, marriage banns, deaths, allegati (enclosures or supplemental records), and citizenship records for comuni (towns) in the northern Italian province of Siena from 1866-1937. This database currently contains records for the towns of: Abbadia San Salvatore, Campiglia d'Orcia, Casciano dei Bagni, Castiglione d’Orcia, Cetona, Chianciano, Chiusi, Montepulciano, Piancastagnaio, Pienza, Radicofani, San Casciano dei Bagni, San Giovanni d’Asso, San Quirico d’Orcia, Sarteano, Sinalunga, Torrita, Torrita di Siena, and Trequanda.
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Postby acartia » 18 Aug 2011, 15:07

Jim thank you so much for that.Sadly for me it is not the province that I am after.I just checked a map and there are 10 provinces of Tuscany, and the one I am after is Lucca.I never really expected that Lucca would be on just yet, and thought it may be the capital Florence province initially, but I was hopeful of course. I think the reason that you could not find "Coming Soon Toscana records" is that it has arrived and Siena is it! Anyhow it looks as though I will have to start my long trips to one of the two LDS libraries for the Lucca province records.One is 12 miles and through the busy city and the other is about the same distance but on the other side of the river! I used go sometimes for the arvo session and then back home, and back again for the evening session, but I was not nearly 70 years old then. Driving is not my thing these days, so it would have been magic to have the records I am after on Ancestry.Com. I will keep checking every month or so just to see what new records come on.I did write 2 letters back to Ancestry since I first posted here, but still no reply! Jim you have done for me what Ancestry still has not done in 6 weeks! I really appreciate it Jim. John

RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby RussoTiesi » 18 Aug 2011, 20:21

You are welcome, John. I'm sorry they haven't yet made available what you are looking for. Perhaps LDS will digitize the records soon.

Good luck,

Jim

Return to “Italian Genealogy”