Giovannini family in Pofi Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cakes413

Giovannini family in Pofi Italy

Postby cakes413 » 10 Aug 2011, 22:27

I've posted before and gotten some help but did,t put the surname in the heading.
My grandfather sailed from Naples in 1910 with his mother Domenica Crescenzi to join her husband Salvatore Giovannini who had come to America in 1907.
What I'm trying to find out is who did they leave behind in Pofi and who is still there to this day.

Thank you in advance
patti

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Giovannini family in Pofi Italy

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Aug 2011, 22:48

Current Italian telephone listings for Giovannini in Pofi: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=Giovannini&dv=pofi&l=en

And for Crescenzi: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&l=en&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=crescenzi&dv=Pofi

If you wish to write to any of these persons, reformat the addresses like this:

Sig. (for male, "Sig.ra" for female) Firstname Lastname (the reverse of the listing in the telephone directory)

Flip the next two lines, remove the parenthesees, and add "ITALY":

Via Caragno, 8
03026 Pofi FR
ITALY
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Aug 2011, 23:50

I don't recall if you actually have copies of Salvatore's and Domenica's manifests, but if you look closely at the column labeled nearest relative left behind in the country from which immigrant came, you see that Salvatore mentioned his wife, Domenica, so no help there.

On the other hand, Domenica stated "leaving none" which might lead one to believe that both her parent's were deceased or had themselves already emigrated, but this is really an open question. Suffice to say that we have nothing to indicate who may have been left behind in Italy by either Salvatore or Domenica.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

cakes413

Postby cakes413 » 11 Aug 2011, 03:25

Carmine
I had found those phone numbers before but, thank you.When I read the 1930 census record for Salvatore, I found that there was a son listed by the name of Antonio, who had 6 children the oldest named Female, Antonette male, Samuel,next in line was female, Minnie and Joseph.Now if we go by the standard of naming, perhaps Antonette and Samuel were Salvatore's parents 1st names and Minnie and Joseph were Domenica's parents.
The census Domenica as "Minnie"..makes sense to me..lol..I could maybe use this to go on as a start?..or as a middle? .Whats odd to me is I don't remember an Uncle Tony or any of those kids..I wonder if maybe they returned to Italy or moved away?..I can't remember ever even hearing of them.It would be cool to find out if Salvatore had any siblings.Sal was 71 y/o in 1930 and Minnie was 62 so they wouldn't have still been alive in 1950, at least I can't find a grave for them in Trenton.
I also found that Antonio came to America in 1924 at the age of 32 as a fireman aboard the Lucia sailing out of Trieste...He had previously come here at the age of 18 in 1909 that would have been 2 years after Salvatore came over and 1 year before Domenica and the rest of the kids sailed..Interesting, huh?
My grandfathers obituary lists him as leaving 5 siblings, 2 brothers,Anthony and Joseph and 3 sisters Mary Brancolini,Olive Felice and Mrs Joseph Castellini of Italy.No 1st name for her but the 1910 manifest lists 2 daughters,both named Maria and Hiva, who would have been Aunt Olive..lol, are you confused yet?..I am :?

Thanks Carmine
Patti

Return to “Italian Genealogy”