I have a question about Naturalizaton

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

I have a question about Naturalizaton

Postby cakes413 » 12 Aug 2011, 08:16

According to the 1930 census of my grandfather, Peter Giovanni..The spot where it asked if naturalized, in his square it looks to me that it says "Va" tho his father and mothers square says "AL"..does anyone know what this means?..

Re: I have a question about Naturalizaton

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Aug 2011, 09:24

There are three notations you would find in this column:

Al - indicates the person is an "Alien"; a citizen of a country other than the US

Pa - indicates the person is an "Alien"; a citizen of a country other than the US, but has submitted "Papers" to begin the naturalization process

Na - indicates the person is a naturalized citizen of the US.

In all likelyhood, your document says "Na" (I have seen many where the "N" looks like a "V") which means that sometime before 1930 Peter became a US citizen. Prior to the "Cable Act" of 1922 (if I recall the date correctly), when a foreign man became a US citizen, his spouse automatically became a citizen as well. After that date, the spouse had to naturalize on her own accord; most did not bother to do so, and it is not unusual to find cases such as this where the husband has naturalized but his wife has not.

As an aside, the 1920 census form (but not the 1930 form) includes a column to show the year of naturalization.

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”