Anyone have any success online using Geni.com?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Anyone have any success online using Geni.com?

Postby TriciaFierro » 15 Aug 2011, 22:08

Hello friends! :D

I came across geni.com and was curious to know if any of my fellow genealogistss have had luck using this site? It looks like it might be good for reaching out to folks with common surnames but wanted to garner some opinions from those that have used it on here. Thanks!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anyone have any success online using Geni.com?

Postby bnelson » 19 Aug 2011, 04:48

I like Geni.com very much and use it a lot. I like to think of it as Facebook for Genealogy. It is great for sharing those old family photos with your relatives, since it has photo tagging features similar to Facebook. You can also upload and tag documents, and create timelines of important life events for similar to Ancestry.com.

On the downside, it doesn't have research capability that Ancestry.com does, but it is free. I join Ancestry for a few months during the winter for research, but maintain my tree on Geni.

I haven't had much luck finding other genealogists that are researching my tree on either Geni or Ancestry. I think the majority of users join, enter what they know about their family for a few weeks, then lose interest. Geni has better collaboration features, including the ability to merge trees, so there are probably fewer duplicate profiles on Geni.

Check it out - you might like it.

Bill

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Aug 2011, 13:43

bnelson wrote:I haven't had much luck finding other genealogists that are researching my tree on either Geni or Ancestry. I think the majority of users join, enter what they know about their family for a few weeks, then lose interest. Geni has better collaboration features, including the ability to merge trees, so there are probably fewer duplicate profiles on Geni.

Worse still are the folks who enter unproven, inaccurate information. I have found 4 or 5 trees on ancestry.com which contain one or more members of my family and every one of them contains gross factual errors. Names misspelled, incorrect dates for major events such as birth and marriage, incorrect passenger manifests attached to an immigrant, and so on. In a couple of cases, I actually contacted the tree's owner and offered to send him/her a copy of an actual Italian birth or marriage act so that he might correct his info, but to no avail. :(

One guy has my grandfather in his tree - a tree of over 25,000 persons. Now, let's be serious, how can that tree possibly be more than 5 or 10% accurate? What is the point of mindlessly importing data into a tree if you cannot vouch for it?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 19 Aug 2011, 13:51

Carmine is right with no backup of records whats the use.It has taken a lot of my time but I backup most of my family data.
JUST CLICK ON THE LEAF LOL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 19 Aug 2011, 15:38

Thank you, Bill

Carmine & Marty,
I have had the same issue on Ancestry myself and I too emailed the tree owners and let them know of their incorrect data and offered to send them the accurate data. One did take me up on the offer but I didn't hear from anyone else. I totally agree and question why they don't ensure they are facts before adding documents. I use ancestry almost daily and if I find a record I am unsure about and needing more proof for I simply save it to my shoebox until such a time I know it's either belonging to my ancestor or needs to be deleted because it is incorrect. I don't think those folks that just add names, dates and false facts without proof realize the number of hours and amount of research it takes to "confirm" that the info in your tree is accurate. It makes no sense to me either why they bother doing it at all. The sad part is that if one fact they have is correct, such as a name, then their tree comes up as a hint in someone else's tree who too may be just starting out and they use the false info and on and on it goes. :(
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 20 Aug 2011, 10:31

For those of you who don't know, Geni has changed the options for both it's free and Pro-Subscribers (paying members) as of August 11. Free features are now limited and you now have a cap on the amount of generations you can add to your tree or trees you can search. Pro Geni users now have the ability to go in and add, edit and merge your tree.

This seems to have angered the Genealogy community a great deal.
You can read about it here:
http://gentedimareitaliangenealogy.info/
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 21 Aug 2011, 18:27

Wow, that's very interesting, Nuccia! Thank you for sharing :)
Tricia Fierro

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 21 Aug 2011, 19:21

You're Welcome!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”