Italian Surname: Rossotto from Asti Provence

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Raro1984

Italian Surname: Rossotto from Asti Provence

Postby Raro1984 » 19 Aug 2011, 21:02

Hello everyone it is me again.

So I have expanded my search a little and come across Sebastiano Rossotto B. 11 Nov 1868 and D. 4 July 1940. He immigrated to the US in 1903 with a Felix Rossotto (age 17 in 1903) both sailing from Havre? France.

I was hoping to find some Italian documentation of the family, Pre-immigration.

I know that the children
Guiseppe Rossotto (1901) and Clemintine Rossotto (B. 1898)and his Wife Anna Vai Rossotto were born in Moncucco Torinese, province: Asti - region: Piedmont.

Also trying to figure out if "Felix" was a son, nephew or younger brother.
Rachel

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Surname: Rossotto from Asti Provence

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Aug 2011, 22:53

Actually, the November 24, 1903 manifest says they sailed from Cherbourg, not from Le Havre.

Also, "Felix" is, of course, not an Italian name. The correct name is Felice. It is commonly anglicized to Felix.

The manifest states the place of last residence for both was Alessandria. In this case, it is reasonable to assume the meaning to be the city (comune) of Alessandria which is the capital of the province of the same name in the Piemonte region.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Aug 2011, 22:59

However, Felice/Felix's WWI Draft Registration card states his place of birth is Moncucco, which as was determined in your other thread, probably refers to Moncucco Torinese in the province currently Asti, previously Alessandria.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Felixe Rossotto
Name: Felixe Rossotto
County: San Mateo
State: California
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 6 Aug 1886
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1544326
DraftBoard: 0

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Aug 2011, 23:08

Are you certain Sebastiano and Felice are related in any meaningful way?

Looking at the manifest, Felice is on line 21 and Sebastiano on line 23; the person in between has an entirely different family name.

Felice says he is going to see his uncle near (?) San Jose, whereas the person on line 22 and Sebastiano are both going to see a friend at 19 N. Market St, San Jose.

Carmine

Raro1984

Postby Raro1984 » 20 Aug 2011, 05:55

I apologize I didn't link the information together correctly.

Thank you for posting those documents.

I'll be sending some letters to the specific commune in Italy for further information. I will let you all know how that goes if you are interested.

Rachel
Rachel

barbaracure

Postby barbaracure » 17 Oct 2014, 03:48

Felix was my great grand father. Will look to see if I can find info for you. How are you related?
Barbara

*** Failed connect to http://moderate.cleantalk.ru/api2.0. Automoderator cleantalk.org ***

Return to “Italian Genealogy”