Guercio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Guercio Family

Post by rp76226 »

Stanley Guercio, son of Giuseppe (Joseph) Guercio born about 1897 in Italy and Maria Carmela Puma born October 29, 1905 in NYC and died August 1981, had 4 children with a wife whose first name was Jenny. His brother Robert never married. Trying to find the full names of Stanley's wife, children, and grandchildren as well as dates of birth, marriage, and death. There may also, per a 1930 census, been two older children of Joseph Guercio and Maria Puma, named Nellie born about 1925 and Olga born September 6, 1926 and died November 19, 2006. I'm not sure if the census family is the same family because the one family member who vaguely remembers this family only remembers the boys. Would like to obtain the spouses, children, and grandchildren of Nellie and Olga in case they are family.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Guercio Family

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello,
I believe this obit is of Olga if you haven't seen it,

Olga Guercio Daly November 19, 2006
Olga Guercio Daly, 80, who was active in a variety of volunteer activities, died on November 19 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications from injuries sustained in an automobile accident on November 6. She was a resident of Leisure World of Virginia in Leesburg.
Mrs. Daly was born in Syracuse, NY. She attended Syracuse University and earned a bachelor of arts, cum laude, in political science and journalism in 1948. Following her graduation, she worked professionally in radio, television, and public relations, and was Director of Membership and Publicity for the Y.W.C.A. and Director of Public Affairs at LeMoyne College in Syracuse.
She married Mark Towse Daly of Syracuse on September 12, 1953. During his career with General Motors Acceptance Corporation, the couple resided in Syracuse and other locations in New York State, Fairfax, and Chicago. Mr. and Mrs. Daly settled in Herndon in 1989 following his retirement. Mr. Daly died in 1995.
Following the birth of her children, Mrs. Daly became a full-time homemaker. She was very active in volunteer pursuits with a variety of organizations, including the League of Women Voters, Theta Sigma Phi (now known as The Association for Women in Communications), and Fellowship House in Reston. She was a charter member of the Assistance League of Northern Virginia.
Mrs. Daly is survived by five children, Mark Towse Daly, Jr., of Tucson, Arizona, John Joseph Daly of Irvine, California, Ann Daly McNerney of Oakton, Mary Elizabeth Daly of Alexandria, and Patricia Daly Olsen of Grand Forks, North Dakota; nine grandchildren; and two sisters, Nella Pasto of Fayetteville, New York, and Irene Flandera of Turlock, California.
Friends may call at Money & King Funeral Home, 171 Maple Avenue, W., Vienna, VA, on Friday, November 24, from 3 to 5 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. John Neumann Catholic Church, 11900 Lawyers Road, Reston, VA, on Saturday, November 25, at 10 a.m. with a reception following the Mass. Interment private in Fairfax Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Assistance League of Northern Virginia, PO Box 209, Herndon, VA 20172-0209. Please sign the guest book at syracuse.com/obits

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

And this obit,
JOSEPH GUERCIO: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice

Syracuse Herald-Journal (NY) - May 18, 1990

Deceased Name: JOSEPH GUERCIO

Joseph Guercio, 94, a former resident of 130 Clifton Place, died Thursday at Loretto Geriatric Center after a brief illness.
A native of Carpanzano, Italy, Mr. Guercio lived most of his life in Syracuse. He retired after many years as an insurance salesman with John Hancock Insurance Co. His wife, Carmela, died in 1981.
Mr. Guercio was a communicant of St. John the Evangelist Church and a member of the Loyal Order of Moose. An Army veteran of World War I, Mr. Guercio was a member of the Disabled American Veterans.
Surviving are three daughters, Nella Pasto of Fayetteville, Olga Daly of Herndon, Va., and Irene Flandera of Bridgeport; 10 grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Loretto Geriatric Center. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery, DeWitt.
Calling hours are 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. today in the chapel, 700 E. Brighton Ave.
Eaton-Tubbs-Schepp Funeral Home, Fayetteville, has arrangements
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Paul, thanks for those replies. I think you have the right Joseph Guercio. Olga is not the right person, because, she is still alive per another family member, but had moved in last year with her son somewhere on Long Island and we don't know how to reach them. She was pretty ill at the time.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

My mistake. I had the wrong Olga in my mind and confused myself. The Olga I described in my reply was from a different family. Your obituary is the right one for this family.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Does anyone have evidence that ties the three sisters Irene, Nella, and olga to the two brothers Stanley and Robert? I'm still not 100% sure that this is one family or two of Joseph Guercio.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Joseph Guercio ( obit by Paolo47), the wife was Carmela S Guercio or maybe Maria Carmela; Carmela Guercio died on 22 oct 1981

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers ... ehtml&.pdf

the family in 1930:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Guercio Name: Joseph Guercio
Home in 1930: Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Carmillia Guercio
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Guercio 33
Carmillia Guercio 27
Nellie Guercio 5
Olga Guercio 3 5/12

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I had the census data, but your link to the obituary has now convinced me that this is a different family despite the husband and wife having the same first names. In my family, the wife was born in New York, not Italy. Too bad maiden names were not mentioned in any data so far. The maiden name should be Puma.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it is very strange that 2 Joseph Guercio, both born in 1897, had daughters with same first names.... where Joseph & Maria Carmela lived?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I took the 1897 date from the 1930 census which I now believe is a different family. Joseph Guercio and Maria Carmela Puma had two boys, Stanley and Robert. Stanley married a Jenny ? and had 4 children (names unknown). Robert never married and is deceased. The relative who knew them a little bit is unaware of any girls to this couple.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that your Maria Carmela Guergio nee Puma was called Mollie or Molly:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Mollie Guercio
Name: Mollie Guercio
Home in 1930: Bronx, Bronx, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1906
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Joseph Guercio

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Joseph Guercio 22
Mollie Guercio 24
married in 1930...
it could be your Maria Carmela??

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Yes, she was called Molly and was born October 29, 1905 (died August 1981).
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you think that the above 1930 census could be right?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

It seems right based on her age. I know nothing of him, except his name. I tried finding the census through Heritage Quest Online through my local library, but they didn't have it. I know about their two sons, but not Stanley's 4 children annd their families (Robert never married) Curiously, through the Mormon site, I found a Joseph Guercio born in 1908 which would agree with your census data and died August 1981 in New York which is the death date for his wife. Now I'm wondering if they were in an accident together or was it coincidence. Unfortunately, SS records do not give next of kin on the free version.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a 1910 census:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Guerino Name: Joseph Guerino
[Joseph Guercio]
[Joseph Luercio]
Age in 1910: 2
Estimated Birth Year: 1908
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Giovanni Guerino
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's name: Carlina Guerino
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Manhattan, New York, New York
Marital Status: Single
Giovanni Guerino 35
[36]
Carlina Guerino 25
Antoino A Guerino 5
Joseph Guerino 2
Elena Guerino 3/12
[0]
Micola Guerino 53

the surname is transcribed Guarino, but seeming Guercio... and by family member's names, the family coming from Palermo; I found the immigration of Joseph mother( Rosa Guercio nee Randazzo) with the oldest sons:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

also by this marriage record:
Puma Maria A Feb 23 1930 1684 (1930) Bronx
Guerino Joseph F Feb 23 1930 1684 (1930) Bronx

I know not if the Joseph surname is mispelled also on this trancription of marriage record;

if the 1930 census abt Joseph and Mollie Guercio is right, they was married in 1930, and living in the Bronx...

so it is possible that the surname is mispelled also on the marriage record and the sons (Stanley and Robert)and/or daughters was born after the census date...

abt Maria:
Name: Maria Guercio
Birth: 29 Oct 1905
Death: Aug 1981
Civil: New York
Other: Spring Valley, Rockland, New York, United States of America

and abt Joseph:
Name: Joseph Guercio
Birth: 18 Mar 1908
Death: Aug 1981
Civil: New York

This family story is a mystery... I cannot find a obit abt Maria and Joseph... that could be helpful for to solve the mystery abt the children...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH