Cemetary Records for Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Cemetary Records for Italy

Postby TriciaFierro » 23 Aug 2011, 16:25

Does anyone know of a website or book that lists Italian cemetaries, their locations and records of those buried there? I know this is a growing piece of genealogy here in the states with sites popping up all the time for folks to upload pics and transcriptions of headstone and markers but I have come across very few sites like this in Italy. Thank you! :D
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Cemetary Records for Italy

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Aug 2011, 16:34

Tricia,

Everything about burial in Italy is different than what you have come to expect here in the US. There are several threads here on the subject; one is at http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic18522.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 23 Aug 2011, 17:04

Thank you, Carmine! I will chaeck that thread out! :)
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 23 Aug 2011, 17:24

Wow, that is very interesting and something I did not know about cemetarie in Italy! Thank you for pointing me toward that thread, Carmine!

I can also add it's not always easy in the States either, because I have found the grave of my GG grandparents and their children in one Catholic cemetary (the ONLY Catholic cemetary) in the small town that they lived in, but I cannot locate his parents graveite. I am starting to wonder if they were buried on the family property at this point. :)
Tricia Fierro

Return to “Italian Genealogy”