"Monica" surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Monica K

"Monica" surname

Postby Monica K » 23 Aug 2011, 20:14

Domenico Monica (my great grandfather)arrived at Ellis Island April 3, 1898. He listed Prato as his place of residence and was 19 years old and single at that time. I found that he traveled back and forth before bringing with him his wife, children, and mother. His mother's name was Viola "Menichiello" from Pratola, Italy. Domenico's wife was Marianna "Manriello" Monica.

I'm looking for information on my family's history. Any guidance would be appreciated.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: "Monica" surname

Postby uantiti » 24 Aug 2011, 11:27

Hi,
I believe that your ggfather's place of residence was not Prato (which is in Tuscany) but Prata. The complete name is Prata Di Principato Ultra but people living there probably just used to say Prata. His mother and his wife were from Pratola Serra. The two towns are about one mile far from each other and in the province of Avellino, Campania region, Southern Italy. In addition his mother's surname correct spelling is Minichiello not Menichiello and his wife is Mauriello not Manriello.
If you are looking for family's history in Italy, you can request birth acts from Pratola Serra City Hall by contacting:

Sig.ra Filomena GALDO
Email: anagrafe@pratolaserra.gov.it
or
pratola.demo@asmepec.it

and use this site for letters in Italian:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Hope it helps

Ada

Monica K

Re: "Monica" surname

Postby Monica K » 24 Aug 2011, 15:22

Ada,
Thank you so much! Yes, the spelling of Minichiello was confusing as it is spelled both ways on family documents. This information will help greatly. The Ellis Island documentation had so many errors. Thank you again for you help. I will continue to study the Italian language and someday hope to visit my ancestors' home towns.
Monica

Return to “Italian Genealogy”