Looking for my sister/possible adoption

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gxk459
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for my sister/possible adoption

Postby gxk459 » 25 Aug 2011, 19:55

Can anyone tell me if a child was adopted back in 1949 if back then, the adoption records would have been sealed if she had been placed in a convent orphanage- how can I try to look her up or is this impossible -I just found out I have a half -sister out there and would love to find her even though it has been 62 years since her birth-Thank you for any help she was born in Naples

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Looking for my sister/possible adoption

Postby Italysearcher » 26 Aug 2011, 12:50

Babies given up at birth in Italy are ususally done so anonymously. No record is made of the parents names unless the adoption was private. Most babies given up anonymously were given names invented by the Mayor or town official. Formal adoption was rare and so the child usually retained their given birth name throughout their lives even if they were a member of the family.
You will need to know her name at birth and her birth date to request her birth record from Naples. Since she is still alive (presumably) you will need to provide some photo ID and some type of connection. He birth record will usually give her marriage details. If she was placed in an orphange, the orphanage records may be also available providing the names of the persons to whom she was fostered or adopted.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

gxk459
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for my sister/possible adoption

Postby gxk459 » 26 Aug 2011, 14:15

Thank you - I have a place to start - I have her birthdate and given name- my MAMA kept the record of when she was born

Return to “Italian Genealogy”